Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day—Remembering Those Who've Paid the Ultimate Price for Freedom

Today, on Memorial Day, I want to interrupt my usual schedule to honor the holiday that commemorates those who've paid the ultimate price for freedom. 

As many of you know, our oldest son served four years in the Marine Corps as a front-line infantry Marine during two tours in Iraq. Because  of this, I joined Blue Star Mothers of America, and even though Jimmy is now out of the service, I stay in to serve the families of those who serve. 

One of our most important duties is to honor those who have died in service. I wrote about one particular military funeral on my Guideposts blog, While They Serve this past Friday, and I'd like to share it with all of you. 



Angels on Guard

If you say "The Lord is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. (Psalm 91:9-11)

Inside the church I listened with one ear to the moving service, the other straining to catch any sounds of the protestors. I prayed that nothing would interrupt the tribute to a brave man. As the service progressed I began to relax, nothing from the outside penetrating the sanctuary.

Then I began to hear–or more accurately feel–a deep rumbling roar. It was an almost inaudible hum, a vibration that seemed to ebb and flow. As I strained to identify the source of the noise, it suddenly hit me… (read more)

I'm always amazed and blessed by how many people I meet who have had loved ones who've served in the military. On this Memorial Day, I'd love for you to share your stories about those who've served.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

10 comments:

  1. Edie, this is beautiful. Your post about the men and women who stood sentinel outside the funeral service brought tears to my eyes. Truly beautiful to see how they show honor to our country's fallen military men and women.

    I am blessed to be the wife of a retired Air Force navigator, and we have a number of family members on both sides who haves served our country. I'm looking forward to reading others' stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, it was an amazing experience. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing mention of your own heroes! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. As a Marine mom myself, I thank you Edie. And thank your son for his service, and the Patriot Guard for the service they provide. Today, and every day, may God bless all the families whose loved ones have made the ultimate sacrifice, following the example set by our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, is your Marine still active duty? Thank him for me and thank you for your own sacrifice. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. My nephew joined the Air Force last year. It's wonderful to hear there are people standing guard to protect their honor for all they've sacrificed. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I know you're proud of your nephew! Thanks so much for stopping by and thank him for his service from me, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. People always ask me, since I sometimes write about military ministries, if I have friends or family who serve. They assume that’s why I find it important to write about it. Strangely enough, the fact that I have no close friends or family who have been deployed, I feel an even greater need to write about it. I’ve had no “skin in the game,” and yet I am blessed by all those who do. We can’t forget those who serve nor the families who have to let go of loved ones and support loved ones who do. Edie, thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this beautiful tribute--and your story on Christian Devotions! God bless all those who serve and have served!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our second child/son enlisted in the Navy, our fifth child (also a son) enlisted in the Marines. For some reason it wasn't until the second enlistee that it became clear to me that at some point when we said good bye it may have become until later (in eternity). I believe it was when he was explaining the dog tags portion of the uniform. It was then that I stood on the edge of the dark abyss, knowing that, unlike the years before, I could not go with my son where he was going from that point forward.

    ReplyDelete