Monday, July 8, 2013

Social Media Monday— To Blog or Not to Blog, That is the Question


Yes, I’m wading into the great debate today, al la Hamlet. 

TO BLOG OR NOT TO BLOG. THAT IS THE QUESTION.

I can hear the groans from here. But if you stick with me you might be surprised what you find out.

Here's the crux of the matter. You’re a writer and:
  • You either want to be published or you’ve recently been published.
  • You need an online presence, i.e. a platform.
  • You need to connect with your readers.

I hate to tell you, but blogging is a really good way to accomplish these three goals—and it’s probably a lot simpler than you realize.


I know, a lot of you have tried it and are more than willing to tell me why it doesn’t work for you. I’ve heard every reason under the sun for not blogging.

Here are the top three excuses for not blogging:
  • Nothing relevant to say.
  • Can’t stand self-promotion.
  • Not enough time.

Today I’m going to answer each one of these excuses.

Nothing relevant to say. I think you do have something relevant to say. A big part of the problem is you haven’t figured out who you’re talking to yet. By that I mean you haven’t correctly identified your audience.

A lot of writers haven’t realized that their target audience is readers—NOT writers. 

Maybe you’ve figured that out, if so you’re ahead of the curve. But how do you find these elusive readers? I’m going to let you in on the secret and it’s going to blow your mind.

You find your blog’s audience of readers by BEING YOURSELF.

It’s that simple…and that difficult. Blog about what makes you weird, unique, and special. In other words, blog about what makes you, well, you.

Who you are as a person has already found its way into your books, whether you realize it or not. You know it by another name, VOICE. 

Didn’t you give your characters quirks, jobs, and/or situations that are unique to you and your experiences and interests? Voice is much more than just the way you phrase things, it’s who you are on the printed page. It’s your fingerprint.

A successful blog is the same thing. It’s who you are in an online setting. It’s your digital fingerprint. Be yourself and you’ll collect online readers the same way you make friends in real life, by being yourself.

Can’t stand self promotion. Good. Because a blog isn’t a place to sell your books. At this point you may be shaking your head and wondering why you’d have a blog for any other reason than to sell your books.

You have a blog to build a community of readers who are interested in you and what you write. This community doesn’t come to your blog because they don’t get enough commercials in real life. They come because they feel a connection. And this connection DOES translate into books sold.

The one exception to not selling your books on your blog is an occasional book launch event. But even with that, make sure it has value to your audience and is relevant to what they find important.

Not enough time. Really? Does your day have less than 24 hours in it? If it doesn’t then this excuse doesn’t work.

I know that sounds harsh (and I know I’m going to get mail), but the truth is, you’ve chosen a harsh business.

To become a working writer (someone who publishes more than one book in a lifetime) you are going to need to make some choices about how you spend your time.

Here's all the time you need to have a blog.

A successful blog doesn’t have to have more than one post per week. A blog post should, on average, be no more than 500 words long. Truthfully I don’t know many people who can’t find one to two hours in a seven day period. Because that’s what it will take to write a reasonable blog post. And after you’ve written two or three, it should take less time.

Trust me when I say we all have too much to do and too little time. We just have to decide what we’re willing to sacrifice to reach the goal we've set.

All right, I’m through lecturing. Now, hit me with your best shot. What are your thoughts on blogging and whether or not it’s worthwhile. How have you made it work for you? Leave your comments below and I hope we can all remain friends when the smoke clears. LOL!

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

24 comments:

  1. Blogs are easy to set up is an understatement. I am computer illiterate and did it myself on blogspot by simply following the prompts. My daughter who is a teacher encouraged me to start one after I read her blog about an extended trip to Costa Rica to finish her Spanish teacher requirements. It started slow but is taking on a life of its own. At first I had to post often or my hits dropped. Now I can go away for a couple weeks and it keeps growing. My blogs are longer and on a variety of topics but they seem to be developing a following. One key is tying it into your other social media sites. I tied mine to Pinterest and it helped me see who was really reading my blog. Mine has been read in over 67 countries and has 8,000 hits which is small compared to many, but I have nor really advertised it and it is growing. I would like a few hundred regular readers than thousands of occasional readers, but that is a personal choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Blessings E

      Delete
  2. Love it, Edie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings E

      Delete
  3. You make a lot of valid points. I have been going back and forth as to whether or not I want to commit to a blog. After reading your article, I think I may have to sit down and make it happen. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgeann, I'm glad you're inspired. Be sure to use me as a resource for getting started - I'm here to help. Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Hi Edie, I'm unpublished at the moment and participating in two group blogs. One is a monthly devotional blog, the other a blog to help writers which I contribute to several times a month. Do I need my own personal blog also? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, the answer depends on how often you blog on those sites. As long as it's two or three times a month on each you'll be good. The thing you're looking for with blogging is a place to build community and relationships. A good group blog can accomplish that as well as a personal blog. It's a great option for those who don't want to strike out on their own. Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. I have a blog that I have let stagnate, because of all of the above reasons. I believe I can now get back to it, and need to. Thanks, Edie, for the shove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella, thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Great reminders, Edie!! Thanks for the encouragement!! Praying for you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, we all need the encouragement! Thanks for dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Those are great tips, and I'm working towards that end so I appreciate the input. I especially like that you suggested about one post per week is enough - it's the blogs with so much content that I can't keep up with! I find I read them less frequently than I did, or skim them quickly, looking for pertinent information (like this one). I know I don't want a blog that readers don't have time for, or it defeats the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started this blog with a once a week schedule. As a matter of fact, I didn't move to 7 days a week until this past February. I'm still deciding whether or not I'll keep it 7days a week. I do tend to skim blogs that post something everyday, but I don't think I read them any less. I just don't read every post, like I do on one that posts once or twice per week. Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Edie, this is great info! With being in your classes over the last few years, this wasn't anything new...but a great reminder. As you know, I wasn't blogging very frequently before Blue Ridge. I knew that when I saw the title of this post today, I was in trouble! LOL! Love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I think you're doing well. Keep up the good work! Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Good article. I blog a couple times a month and I find it to be a refreshing change from my regular writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Edie. I've been so visible on several blogs lately that I've put off doing my on. But that's no excuse. Like Jamie, I knew I was in trouble. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a question I hope you can give me some advice. I do not really have any great desire to write a book, though I have a free one on my blog. If I have four or five topics I blog on should I have more than one blog?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you all the way on this, Edie! In May, I celebrated my 5th blogoversary. Thanks to blogging, I've connected with both writers and readers.

    How do you link a blog to Pinterest? That's something I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edie - I LOVE what you say about being yourself and not hiding those things about you that make you "weird, unique & special!" When I first started my blog this February I had no idea what I was doing or where I wanted to go with it. Once I realized that I could actually write about that "weird" part of me that makes me unique, I truly found my sweet spot! My numbers aren't huge by any means, but I am having so much fun blogging once a week! I agree that once you've written a few posts, it gets easier and it doesn't take nearly as long to write as it did when I first began, (I'm much more relaxed and not so uptight). Thanks for your ministry - blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's a rule I live by - it may have come from you: "If I expect my readers to be committed to me, then I must be committed to them." Regardless of my physical health, my emotional stamina, my overtaxed schedule - I stick to my posting schedule of twice a week. I think my readers appreciate it, but I also believe this honors the Lord. I'm a firm believer in "Whatever you do, do it with all of your might as unto the Lord".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I'm a couple of days late, but I love this post, Edie. I put off blogging for a long time. Trying to be a wife, mom, friend, involved in church, volunteering at the school, and writing are all important to me. But, the more I've read, the more I realized how helpful blogging is, on many fronts. It's helping me develop my voice, and I'm meeting some great people (although I'm stymied as to why a shaman decided to follow my women's-oriented blog).

    It's a time commitment to write, edit and polish my posts, and find pictures that will go well with them, but I'm enjoying it. I'm also making room for flexibility. This summer, with kiddos home and a need to get my new book fast drafted, I announced on my blog that I would be cutting down from two days to one for the summer. That eased the stress I felt from trying to keep my word with everything.

    So, this is a very long comment, but it's all to say, thanks! I read a lot on your blog before beginning my own, and it was more than helpful!

    ReplyDelete