Friday, September 18, 2026

3 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Self-Publishing My First Book

From Edie: Miriah Taverna shares three important lessons one author wishes she’d known before self-publishing her first book, from editing and timelines to marketing after launch.


3 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Self-Publishing My First Book
by Miriah Taverna

This blog post could honestly be its own book! What I wish I knew? That’s a good question. The list is extensive because when I first decided to write a book, I didn’t really think about the “publishing” side of things. All I knew was that God had put it on my heart to write a book, and so I was going to write one.

I realize now that the writing part is step one of many.

For most of us, writing is the fun part. You know those moments when you get into a creative flow and the words just bubble up and spill out? Or when you wrestle with a messy paragraph until it finally clicks and your story feels one step fuller?

Those are the moments we love. The rewarding, satisfying, exciting parts of writing.

I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I set out to write a book. I simply thought, Write the book. Publish the book. The end.

I didn’t realize that writing a book isn’t a linear process. Nor is it a quick one. But when we understand what all goes into this process, we can better prepare for the journey ahead, and it’s most definitely a journey!

Today, I’m sharing the top three things I wish I knew before I self-published my first book.

1. Hold Your Timelines with Open Hands

Timelines are helpful, and deadlines can be great motivators. But it’s important to be flexible and hold them loosely. Expecting potential delays helps to guard against that feeling of failure when things take longer than we planned.

There are so many moving pieces that go into self-publishing. And once you finish your manuscript, there’s still a lot to do before you actually launch your book out into the world. There’s editing, proofreading, cover design, formatting, choosing your publishing platform, ordering proof copies, making any final corrections, and then finally uploading and launching your book.

Getting all those little details in place takes time. And we don’t just want to make sure everything is in place. We want to make sure it’s done with integrity, excellence, and professionalism. Some things you can knock out pretty quickly, while others simply cannot be rushed.

I had hoped my book, The Unashamed Life, would be published in December 2024. Then March 2025. And finally, May 2025. It was ultimately published on May 27, 2025. Looking back, that ended up being perfect timing.

If I had pressed forward with my original timeline, I wouldn’t have been fully happy with the outcome. My editor, Alycia Morales, encouraged me to slow down, take my time, and review everything carefully. At the time, that was frustrating because I just wanted to be done with the process and finally have my book in my hands.

But in hindsight, I’m so grateful for her wisdom.

Surrendering my timeline to the Lord allowed me to self-publish a polished, error-free book that I am proud of. Sometimes delay isn’t the setback we think it is. Sometimes it’s God giving you the time you need to finish well.

2. A Good Editor Is Worth the Investment

Speaking of being grateful for my editor, this point is one that I’m pretty passionate about. A good editor is worth the investment, and worth their weight in gold!

Having a second, and even third, set of eyes on your manuscript is priceless because we are often too familiar with our own stories to catch everything. Partnering with a professional editor who can comb through your work with fresh eyes, fresh feedback, and a fresh perspective can take your book to an entirely different level.

Don’t try to save money (or time) on something that can quite literally make or break your book. Yes, it will cost you, but it could cost you more to not hire an editor.

A good editor is going to do more than fix commas. They’ll catch inconsistencies, awkward wording, pacing issues, confusing sections, repetition, and places where the reader may get lost. They’ll also catch the heart and vision behind your book, and preserve your voice while enhancing and magnifying the impact of every chapter, word, and punctuation mark.

Editors often work with multiple clients at the same time, so after praying, researching, and choosing your editor, don’t assume they have availability to start on your book right away. You may need to book your editor weeks or even months in advance. Plus, turnaround times can vary depending on the editor and the type of edit, so be sure to ask about their timeline before you book.

And in all of this, give yourself (and your editor) some wiggle room. Life happens, and you may need to revise or rewrite entire sections of your manuscript. That's perfectly normal, but it does take time, and it’s not something you want to rush.

I highly underestimated just how much time, energy, blood, sweat, and tears go into editing. Looking back, this was definitely one of those things I wish I’d known from the beginning.

3. Your Author Journey Isn't Finished When You Hit Publish

You know what I said earlier about my outlook on what it would look like to self-publish? Write the book. Publish the book. The end?

That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Because while publishing is the end of one stage, it is the grand beginning of another. After your book launches, you still have to get it into readers’ hands.

I like referring to publishing as “birthing your book-baby,” and envisioning the time period that follows your launch as “postpartum.” After all the busyness and excitement dies down, you can’t just move immediately to the next project or assignment. You have to continue nurturing your book-baby for the months and years to come.

Getting your book in front of readers takes intentional effort. Which means coming up with a marketing plan is something we should do before launching, not after. We can’t expect or depend on Amazon to magically find our readers. As wonderful as that would be, we have a part to play in getting our books into the hands of the people God has called us to reach.

You can experiment with social media, email marketing, in-person signings, local bookstore events, or all of the above. What works for one author may not work for another, and that’s okay. Give yourself permission to learn as you go. Try new things, pay attention to what works, and be willing to adjust your strategy along the way.

And honestly, you just have to keep showing up. Keep talking about your book. Share the things that make you excited about it. Share reader testimonies, favorite quotes, or behind-the-scenes moments. You never know how God might use something as simple as a post or conversation to put your book into the right reader’s hands.

There’s so much to learn along the way, and I’m thankful that we don’t have to have everything figured out before we begin. Being an author is a beautiful opportunity to lean into the Lord, stretch your faith, and sharpen your writing skills. Ultimately, experience is the best teacher, so dive in and see where God takes you.

TWEETABLE

MIRIAH TAVERNA was born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina. She is a wife, mama, and award-winning, bestselling author of The Unashamed Life: God Found Me in the Pit of Hell, But He Didn’t Leave Me There.

After spending years lost in drug addiction, she encountered Jesus Christ in a hospital bathroom stall, and in an instant, He changed everything.

Now, her passion is to share Jesus with the world through writing, speaking, Bible teaching, and simply loving people right where they are. Her heart is to help inspire and equip others to deeply seek God for themselves and to boldly share their own stories for His glory. She also creates faith-based resources for aspiring Christian authors.

When she’s not reading, writing, or wrangling her three wild boys, you can find her on a treasure hunt at the local thrift store with an iced vanilla latte in hand. Connect with her at WWW.MIRIAHTAVERNA.COM or on social media.

2 comments:

  1. Great advice. This is so helpful and revealing for those working on their first books. I commend the first timers. And I commend you, Miriah.

    ReplyDelete