Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Why Some Character Deaths Break Readers' Hearts—and Others Don't

From Edie: Sarah Sally Hamer helps writers discover why some character deaths leave readers heartbroken while others fall flat. Learn how to write meaningful loss that creates lasting emotional impact.


Why Some Character Deaths Break Readers' Hearts—and Others Don't
by Sarah Sally Hamer @SarahSallyHamer

Because sometimes the character isn't the problem.

Let's talk about character deaths for a minute.

Writers remove characters from stories all the time, and honestly, the temptation is real. If a character is creating complications, tangling relationships, or making the plot harder to manage, sending them off can feel like a clean solution.

I've seen it happen in novels, movies, television shows, and workshop drafts. A difficult romance becomes even more difficult, like maybe a mentor who keeps rescuing the protagonist, or the cast grows large enough that the writer starts wondering who is actually necessary. Before long, somebody is headed for an exit.

The problem is that removal, even if it’s not from death, often arrives carrying more emotional weight than it has actually earned. A character can die and leave readers surprisingly unmoved. Another can move away, walk out of a friendship, or simply drift out of someone's life and leave a much deeper impression.

What matters isn't the departure itself. What matters is what happens to the story once that person is gone.

Every Character Is Carrying Something

I don't believe every character needs to justify their existence every time they walk onto the page. Real people don't work that way.

Still, most memorable characters are carrying something important, even if it's subtle. They may be the person who tells the protagonist the truth when nobody else will. They may be the source of ongoing tension, or they may quietly hold a group together without ever realizing it.

That's why I think it's useful to stop focusing on the farewell scene for a moment and instead imagine the story without that character.

When you remove them, what changes? Does somebody else inherit responsibilities they never wanted? Does a relationship shift? Does a conflict disappear?

Sometimes you'll discover the character isn't contributing much. Other times you'll realize they've been supporting parts of the story you barely noticed while they were there.

The Shortcut Problem

Over the years I've noticed a pattern.

A writer creates a genuinely difficult situation. Relationships are colliding, loyalties are divided, and somebody is eventually going to make a choice that hurts another person. There's tension because no option feels completely right.

Then one of the people leaves or dies.

The story continues, but the difficult decision often disappears with them.

That doesn't automatically make the story weaker. Sometimes death genuinely is the right direction. I've read wonderful stories where it was unavoidable.

But I've often found myself more interested in the version where everyone has to stay and deal with the consequences.

The awkward conversations. The resentment that hangs around longer than anyone expected. The apology that is sincere and still doesn't fix things.

Life tends to be full of those unresolved corners, and stories can draw a surprising amount of strength from them.

How Real Life Works

A while back, I was cleaning out a closet and found a box I'd ignored for years. I was convinced it contained nothing worth keeping, so I almost tossed it without opening it.

Most of the contents were exactly what you'd expect: random cables, forgotten odds and ends, and several items that probably belonged to electronics I no longer owned. To this day, I don't understand where old cables come from. Every house seems capable of producing them indefinitely.

Buried underneath everything else, though, was a handwritten note from a friend right after my husband died. One I’d read once and completely forgotten about. I ended up sitting on the floor reading it, I have to admit, with tears, instead of finishing the cleaning.

Characters can be a little like that. Sometimes the one you're most eager to remove really is extra clutter. Sometimes they're carrying something unexpectedly valuable, and you don't notice until you're about to get rid of them.

Readers Don't Mourn Strangers

I've finished books where a major character died and felt almost nothing. The scene itself wasn't bad. The writing worked. The remaining characters reacted in believable ways. I just never cared much about the person who died.

On the other hand, I've been unexpectedly affected by characters who moved away, retired, ended friendships, or quietly disappeared from someone's daily life. Those departures weren't necessarily larger or more dramatic. I simply had a stronger connection to the people involved.

Readers don't respond to tragedy in the abstract. They respond to loss. And loss only works when something meaningful existed beforehand.

Let Loss Change the Story

One thing that pulls me out of a story is when a significant departure happens and the world seems to recover almost immediately. Sometimes pacing requires a bit of compression. That's understandable. At the same time, loss usually leaves traces behind.

A routine changes. A responsibility moves from one person to another. Someone absentmindedly reaches for the phone before remembering the conversation they wanted to have isn't possible anymore. Certain parts of life continue, but they continue differently.

Those details are often what make a farewell feel real. Readers may remember the dramatic scene, but they're frequently affected by the quieter moments that follow it.

Final Thoughts

Before writing a character's departure, I think it's worth asking why it needs to happen in exactly that way.

Sometimes the answer is obvious. Other times the answer is less flattering. The character is difficult. They're complicating the plot. They're creating problems that don't have easy solutions, and removing them feels easier than untangling the situation they've created. I've certainly been tempted by that logic in drafts.

The frustrating thing is that difficult characters are occasionally doing some of the most important work in the story. Not always, of course. Some characters genuinely need to leave. The challenge is figuring out which situation you're actually dealing with.

When I think about the character farewells that have stayed with me over the years, I rarely remember the practical details of how they happened. What I remember is the feeling of absence afterward and the way everyone else had to adjust around it.

Maybe that's why some departures linger for years while others fade almost immediately. The goodbye matters, but the empty space afterward is often where the story reveals what was truly important all along.

What characters linger for you? Why?

TWEETABLE

Sarah (Sally) Hamer is a lover of books, a teacher of writers, and a believer in a good story. Most of all, she is eternally fascinated by people and how they 'tick'. She’s passionate about helping people tell their own stories, whether through fiction or through memoir. Writing in many genres - mystery, science fiction, fantasy, romance, medieval history, non-fiction—she has won awards at both local and national levels, including two RWA Golden Heart finals.

A teacher of memoir, beginning and advanced creative fiction writing, and screenwriting at Louisiana State University in Shreveport for over twenty years, she also teaches online at both MARGIELAWSON.COM and NOSTRESSWRITING.COM and blogs for WRITERSINTHESTORMBLOG.COM/ as well as her monthly blog for The Write Conversation. Sally is a free-lance editor and book coach at Mind Potential, with many of her students and clients becoming successful, award-winning authors. 

You can find her at sally@mindpotential.org

5 comments:

  1. Laurie Winslow SargentAugust 5, 2026 at 8:13 AM

    Sally, this is such a good article! It brings more light to how to make the death of a character meaningful. I’ve read a few books where I felt nothing when a character died, then wondered why. Your points clarified that. Also when characters are unappealing to begin with, it’s easy for me as a reader to not miss them. It makes me realize the writer never truly gave the main character enough redeeming qualities to be missed. And with a main character, as a reader I’ve invested so much reading time with them it feels wrong to reach the end of the book and not care that they died! It makes me want to learn to write characters with flaws who are still lovable—not easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! I feel the same way -- if I don't care about the character, I don't care if that character leaves, even if it isn't a death.
      Appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  2. If you'd like more information on this subject, you can watch a free twenty-minute video. https://tinyurl.com/49t384ph It will be available for a couple of weeks, then will be moved to the No Stress Writing Academy. Thanks! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! It makes me think about the characters in my book and if I could delete one without changing the story. I also enjoyed the video you mentioned in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan! I'm glad you found something to use in both the article and the video.

    ReplyDelete