Monday, October 31, 2022

How Writing Ruined My Wife: Why Going Out with a Writer is a Scary Endeavor


by Kirk Melson

I used to love taking my wife out to eat. It was always a carefree time when we could visit about what was going on in our lives, share our dreams and our struggles. 


Then she began to write…fiction.

And the carefree quickly morphed into the socially awkward. Oh we still discussed our dreams and our struggles and what was going on in our lives, but the stories she was (and still is) writing began to intrude. 

I’ve always loved her book ideas and personally I think she’s a genius writer. And I’m NOT saying that because she’s my wife. She’s really good. She writes the kind of books I like to read—scifi and mystery/suspense—the kind of books a man can sink his teeth into.

And as an engineer I’m fascinated by the process. I still marvel at how her mind comes up with this stuff! But that’s also the challenging part for eating out…in public. Contrary to what I thought about fiction writers, these books don’t just spring forth fully formed. There are hundreds (sometimes thousands) of little details to be ironed out before everything fits together just right.

Details like how to murder someone. Or how to make her characters act right. I mean really, they’re imaginary characters. I would have thought they’d have been easy to control. 

As usual, I was dead wrong.

And meal times seems to be when Edie is most comfortable discussing these problems with me. I’m flattered really. I can’t imagine why she’d think I’d have any insight into the challenges she’s facing. 

And I can assure you, I do NOT have any experience in murdering someone.

But that doesn’t stop conversations like this from occurring at our favorite restaurants.

“I need your help with an issue I’m having with my antagonist.” An innocent enough way to start dinner conversation.

“Sure. How can I help?” I want to support her anyway possible. What else could I say?

“Well, we need to plan a murder.” She says it so matter of factly, like it’s a common topic of conversation. 

I notice a few people glance our way, like they’re certain they couldn’t have heard that correctly.

“Are you sure you want to talk about that here?” I can see it coming, but can’t stop it or even get out of the way.

“Why not? We’re alone, no kids. What could be better?” 

What indeed? “Okay, shoot.”

She frowns. “No, I need something more original than just shooting or stabbing someone. It’s got to be unique, and hard to solve.”

No those around us have stopped eating, some mid bite. My only thought is to get this topic finished and on to another one before someone calls the police. “I have to admit I can’t imagine. Maybe some kind of poison.”

“That sounds like a possibility, maybe something slipped into her food or drink.” She stares into space for a moment then smiles. “When I get home I’ll research some poisons and see if that helps.”

Then she’s off chatting about another subject. 

I on the other hand am signaling to the waiter for the check. I want to be long gone before the police arrive.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? Give a struggling spouse some perspective!

TWEETABLE

Featured Image: Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

13 comments:

  1. I can see the two of you guys at Papas doing just this. I seem to have conversations with my wife similar to these. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely loved reading this! I could make a dozen comments, but I will just leave it at that! Thanks, Kirk. You made my day start with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending this to my husband so he’ll know I’m not the only one like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband thought we were the only ones who had these experiences. I don't mean to make other restaurant patrons wonder. I will definitely have my husband read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two daughters took a crime writing class taught by David Pierce. At lunch they talked about how to bump off someone for their assignment. Noticing the waitress was lingering close by and looking concerned, they realized their convo could lead to meeting the local police. Later, I caught up with my paramedic daughter downtown. Her partner mentioned that if the coroner received any more calls asking how to kill someone without it being noticeable, they were going to put the county on alert. I assured them those were research calls from students in the crime writing class at the local Christian university :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirk, you out-did yourself! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my I love, love, love this blog. Kirk is so funny to me anyway, but this is priceless. Now I feel sorry for my own husband who only gets to listen to children story book ideas. Thanks Edie for this and all of your wonderful blogs. You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I mean to comment as myself. Kathy C. Bowen

      Delete
  8. Love it Kirk! I don’t write suspense but I live it with my imagination. I often share my opinion with hub after reading headlines as to what could have happened. My sharp skills on the job uncovered an insurance scam leading to a sting operation with an arrest at our office. In another personal home invasion experience led to one of my intruders being caught and spending jail time thanks to my eyewitness account and God gave me an escape plan thereby protecting me from harm. Edie I’m available for brainstorming if Kirk needs a break. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kirk,

    As usual, you have me laughing hysterically! Thanks for the insight! I do this to my kids too! They don’t get a pass….

    Blessings,
    Laurie Lupin

    ReplyDelete