Thursday, September 27, 2018

When It's Time for a Writer to Refocus


by Henry McLaughlin @RiverBendSagas

As you know from previous posts, I have a heart condition. A serious one. And sometimes it’s tempting to give in to it, to pamper myself, to let it limit my experiences and enjoyment of life. But I don’t. I want to live to the fullest, to enjoy all God has for me. I take care of myself and listen to my wife and the medical team around me so I don’t do stupid. But I won’t let the condition hamper me.

Sometimes, I’ve been tempted to give up on writing because of what seems to be insurmountable obstacles and limitations.

Building a platform, maintaining a presence on social media, being an active marketer seem beyond my reach at times.

Poor sales of my indie books drags at me.

Finding an agent seems to have more hoops than a Hula Hoop factory and they all have to be jumped through just right. And they keep moving the hoops.

Focusing on the writing itself can overwhelm some of us. Limitations on our time, family responsibilities, health concerns, and our finances can all challenge us to give up our writing.

These wear us down and drain our confidence. I’ve seen writers give up in the face of them. I’ve been tempted myself to chuck it all.

So, what do we do about it?

I suggest we make the effort to refocus on our foundation—why do we write? How did we get started on this roller coaster?

  • REFOCUS on God. He gave us the call to write. Get back in touch with him and his promises for strength. He has promised never to forsake us. There have been times when I’m struggling with my writing and I remind him that this was his idea. And he reminds me not to focus on the external, worldly signs of success, but to focus on obedience to his call. One of the principles we teach in our stewardship classes at church is: If I can, I will. God will do the rest. And he has given each of us the ability to do what he has called us to be.

  • REFOCUS on the gift he has given us to create with him. This applies to every vocation and occupation. As writers, he wants us to use words to encourage, to enlighten, to comfort and support, to inspire. Trust he will guide, equip and enable us.

  • REFOCUS on the journey, not the destination, and what God has for us along the way. We grow in our relationship with him. We grow within ourselves into so much more than if we didn’t have him. Writing had made me a different and better person. And I’ve seen it do the same in many other writers. Along the journey, he has brought us friendships and relationships that support us and challenge us. These people come along side and we travel together.

  • REFOCUS on not giving up, on not stopping until he releases us. Continually seek his wisdom and guidance. Keep working. Keep writing. 

Keep touching others through our ministry of writing. Be faithful stewards of the gift he’s given us.

How have you handle being tempted to give up?

How do you refocus?

TWEETABLES
When it's time for a writer to refocus - Henry McLaughlin, @RiverBendSagas on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Timely help for the writer who needs to refocus - Henry McLaughlin, @RiverBendSagas on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Henry’s debut novel, Journey to Riverbend, won the 2009 Operation First Novel contest.

Henry edits novels, leads critique groups, and teaches at conferences and workshops. He enjoys mentoring and coaching individual writers.
 


Connect with Henry on his blogTwitter and Facebook.

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I needed to read this words. Feeling overwhelmed by the marketing of my book and growing a social presence. Your words have inspired me to remember to place my focus on the One who gave me this opportunity and gift in the first place - God. Blessings to you for health and wellness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loretta. I feel overwhelmed myself when it comes to marketing. I just want to pull the covers over my head until it all goes away. Reminding myself to refocus on God and his calling helps me keep my priorities straight. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Mr.Henry. Thank you for the post, but more thank you for your candid and honest wisdom. Health problems are but temporary for us Christian writers. I've come to see mine (I keep nitro handy too) as seasoning for my writing. Your posts here and elsewhere are an inspiration to many. So even if it doesn't come with cover art all the time, you are STILL honoring God's calling in your life. Thanks for all your sage wisdom and encouragement sir. God's blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. Your words bless me and remind why I continue to pursue this dream. Blessings on you, healing for your body, and divine inspiration for your writing.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting. To be honest, I have to turn things upside down as I try to look at life from the Lord’s standpoint. Not always easy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie. I know what you mean. There are times I want to shake my fist at God. There have been times when I've looked to heaven and said, "Remember. This was your idea." And his response is usually along the lines of, "I know that. I'm working on it. Just keep doing the last thing I told you to do."

      Delete
  4. I get it. I too am struggling as an Indie author. Two novels - third on the way - and sometimes - it feels like everyday is a slog through the mud. I seem unwilling to bend toward the "success" signposts - writing to a specific genre - which leaves me sloshing about in literary fiction - too deep a category for anyone to standout. But I persevere - because I firmly believe that my novels will reach the right audience - and that the messages are powerful. Thank you for the post and the reminder. It's not traditional success we should seek. It's spiritual valor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad. We need to write the stories god's given us the vision for. And trust him to take care of the rest of it. But sometimes, we can get caught up in the work and the busyness of the writing profession. That's when we need to stop and refocus. Blessings.

      Delete
  5. I published a devotional book during the summer of 2017. My book signings were not worth the effort. I participated in an Artisan's Fair at our local library last November. That day we had torrential rain storms go through our area. I managed to sell a few books, more than at the book signings. I decided to take the winter months off from active book promoting and check into the festivals in our area. The book rent was way out of my price range, keeping in I had to sell a certain amount to almost break even. This summer, I felt called to expand my writing ministry to include speaking. Not much response to my inquiries. Had to cancel one at an assisted living facility due to my husband being ill. I have spoken at a local nursing home this past month and am scheduled for every other week for October and November. I have a one-page made up and need to mail some to area churches. I have even been turned down by one because that facility' residents " have enough entertainment." I am waiting on the LORD to guide me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. It is hard, sometimes very hard, to launch a new book and ministry. I salute your diligence in pursuing your dream. I support your decision to wait on the Lord to guide you. I'm sure you appreciate that waiting on the Lord doesn't always mean doing nothing. We continue to strive to be the best we can be at what he has called us to do. But we do so under his direction. We need to be still and listen to him. We need to dig into his word with persistence, seeking to hear from him. He will speak to us. I pray favor and open doors for you as you continue to follow the path and plan he has for you.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the encouragement. Whether times are good or bad, we can always lean on God. He is with us forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Melissa. God is so good. And he wants us to succeed in his plan.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the reminder that God is always with us. If we listen to that small voice inside, we will achieve big rewards. I launched a new book this summer. My biggest disappointment has been in writer friends I have supported for years. They seem too caught up in their own promotions to care about others. I pray that I never ignore the talent God has given other authors. We must write reviews, encourage, and support the written word. Blessings to you and thanks for this inspiring post, Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie. Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your book launch. I pray God's blessings over it and that he guide it into the very hands that need it the most. I know it can feel disappointing when people, for personal or professional reasons, don't support us in the way we hoped they would. I know. I've been on both sides of this equation.
      I pray you find forgiveness in your heart. I admire your willingness to not ignore other writers in their efforts. We are a community to help each other and not hold grudges or resentments.
      I pray God continue to bless you on your writing journey and that you find divine favor and grace and wisdom as you continue to serve him with your words.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Henry. There's nothing like telling it like it is. The whole writing profession is overwhelming, but I've learned it's not so bad when I take it one step at a time. I can't focus and stress over what hasn't happened yet. I'll face marketing issues when I reach that point. For now, I write and I strive to improve in hopes that one day an editor will find me. I work at building my platform, blogging, and staying connected. I've been blessed with a fabulous agent, so I've already jumped through that hoop. Thank you for your honesty! You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loretta. Congratulations on connecting with an agent--and a "fabulous" one at that. I agree that the whole writing profession can be overwhelming. Trying to do it all at once is like multitasking--nothing gets done very well. Focusing on one thing at a time is, in my experience, much more successful. The key is to remember where everything else is. I like the plan you lay out and I pray abundant blessings and favor for you on your writing journey. Blessings.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late again. :( This is beyond good, well beyond. Back thirty to forty years ago husband and I met a music man. He had been stricken with polio in his twenties and had to fight his was back from the effects of the terrible disease. He built up a singing career. In one of his songs he had the line, 'I want to be there when I die'. I have always thought that was an odd twist, but I understand it. It would have been easier for him and many others of us to take the easy way out. To have given up and just drift on out. But when it's all said and done I want other people to take their life in their hands and say, 'well if she can do it, so can I'. I want to be there when I die...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donevy. Your comment is both touching and inspiring. Blessings on you and your writing.

      Delete
  13. “There have been times when I’m struggling with my writing and I remind him that this was his idea. And he reminds me not to focus on the external, worldly signs of success, but to focus on obedience to his call,” This says it all. God calls, ours is to respond to His call and to steward the gifts he gives us. Thank you for this reminder that brings me back to center.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Henry, as always, thank you for sharing. God has gifted you in many ways and your message was honest and timely.

    ReplyDelete