Sunday, August 19, 2018

The breath of God in our Lives

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Your name will no longer be Abram, but your name will be Abraham, for I will make you the father of many nations . . . God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. Genesis 17:5, 15

So often we become God’s children, long before we allow Him to breathe life into our lives. Our hearts belong to him, but we often resist the changes He wants to make in us.

I think the same thing was true of Abraham and Sarah. They followed God for quite a while before they actually let Him make the changes He wanted. These verses are the outward evidence of the changes God made in them. 

The changes God made to their names held great significance. He added an H to both their names. If you say the sound that an H makes, it’s an exhalation of breath. I think this is the evidence that they had allowed God to breathe life into their lives.

God also breathes into our lives. He speaks to us in many ways. We have much more of Him than those in the Bible. We have His Holy Spirit, and we have His Living Word. But the truth is, if we don’t allow what God is giving us to transform us, it’s just head knowledge. 

Without transformation, 
information is just extra baggage.

It is our responsibility to apply the things God speaks into our lives. This realization has caused me to think more about how my life would change, if I allowed Him to breath life into my current circumstances? Definitely something to ponder. Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Don’t forget to join the conversation
Blessings,
Edie

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I love those words you wrote - it is our responsibility to apply the things God speaks into our lives. Trust and obey are the words He has been whispering to me of late. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for posting everyday like this. Happy Sunday- Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is amazing how God changed their names by simply adding an H. But it was an outward sign of an inside change. I am continually learning to ask God to open the eyes of my heart. I have much head knowledge but I want to be transformed each day to become more like Jesus. Beautiful post Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, agreed. Too many of us love the idea of God rather than being in love with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Head knowledge! How I love to collect it! Lord, put in me a desire for transformation of heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we only pause to let God breath life in our lives. What a wonderful thought, and even greater promise Ms. Edie. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only.... if only I would pause whenever I am anxious and allow God to breathe life into the situation. I do know whenever I pray first, I feel His comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete