Sunday, July 22, 2018

There are comforters, then there’s THE Comforter


by Rhonda Rhea @RhondaRhea

Never scrimp on an electric blanket. Electrical currents on top of your body. While you’re sleeping. Think about it. Also, if the lights flicker when you plug it in and you smell bacon you should probably forget the whole thing and just get a Snuggie. Or also if you wake up in a morning and find it melted into a puddle of liquid wool and smoking wires. Snuggie. If you hear sizzling at any time. Snuggie.

My grandmother once had an electric blanket that had to be from the pit of the hottest parts of the darkest abyss. But she paid good money for it, so we were going to use that thing or die. I figured probably both. We didn’t need a nightlight at Grandma’s. The little sparks from that blanket did the trick. Never mind the flames. Just pat those puppies out, turn over and go back to sleep. 

Every once in a while life can feel a little like my grandma’s blanket. Just at the moment you think things are going to get comfy and warm, you feel flames instead. Sometimes you may even start to wonder if God sees your discomfort or if He really and truly cares.

Could I encourage you in those moments to hold on to a confident knowledge that not only does He see your pain, and not only does He truly care about you and about your hurt, but He’s right there with you. He’s with you in every distress.

“Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,’ even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you,” (Psalm 139: 7-12, ESV). Even when you feel blanketed in everything heavy, dark and uncomfortable, you can know that He sees right out the other side of that darkness. And through it all, He is with you. He lives right inside you.

The Holy Spirit of God has been with you every moment of every day since the instant you surrendered your life to Christ. Jesus said, “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth in you, and shall be in you,” (John 14:16-17, KJV).

His forever presence! Now there’s a Comforter we can snuggle up in for the coziest sense of wellbeing, even when the heat is on. Recognize His presence and you will find sweet rest every time.

I probably shouldn’t admit it, but as I was reading the passage in Psalm 139 and I got to the “make my bed in Sheol” part, I remembered Grandma’s blanket again. And now I’m pretty sure I smell bacon.

TWEETABLES

"Recognize God's presence and you will find sweet rest every time." Rhonda Rhea on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Rhonda Rhea is a humor columnist for lots of great magazines, including HomeLife, Leading Hearts, The Pathway and more. She is the author of 10 nonfiction books, including How Many Lightbulbs Does It Take to Change a Person? and coauthors fiction with her daughter, Kaley Faith Rhea. She and her daughters host the TV show, That’s My Mom, for Christian Television Network’s KNLJ. Rhonda enjoys traveling the country speaking at all kinds of conferences and events. She and her pastor/hubs have five grown children and live in the St. Louis area.

6 comments:

  1. We all need the Holy Spirit in our lives. And we could all use a "grandma's blanket.
    A comforting post perfect for this rainy weather day.
    Blessings, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, I love how you make me laugh while making your point. So thankful our Comforter never leaves us or fries us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much and comfort-blessings right back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rhonda, Psalm 139 is my absolute favorite, well I have quite a few absolute favorites, but I do find it comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, ha, loved the electric blanket analogy. I can't think that's spelled right, but where's spell check when you need it? LOL Yes, it's nice to be comfortable, and to find comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda,

    Great post! I think your grandma must have been related to mine; she never wasted anything. I can remember going to stay with my grandma when I was a child and being appalled because she told me to re-heat the dishwater and use it over and over again. Anyway, I am really grateful for "the God of all comfort."

    ReplyDelete