Monday, July 9, 2018

My 10 Commandments of Social Media for Writers (and everyone else)


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson


Today's post is short and sweet, but I hope you have as much fun reading it as I did writing it!

1. Thou shalt always promote others ahead of thyself.

2. Thou shalt not have a running self-promotion and/or commercial for thy newsfeed.

3. Thou shalt add substance and value—not trivia or irritation—to those who like and follow thee. 

4. Thou shalt not hog the stream of any social media network thou are a part of.

5. Thou shalt interact with those who comment upon and share thy updates.

6. Thou shalt not share thy location or the fact that thou is on vacation.

7. Thou shalt take time to edit thyself before posting (auto correct is not thy friend).

8. Thou shalt not plague others with auto responders when someone new follows thee.

9. Thou shalt ALWAYS use a recognizable headshot as thy avatar.

10. Thou shalt not add others to groups without permission. 

What commandment would you add to the list? I could think of several others but I was trying to stick with my theme! Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES

20 comments:

  1. Thou shalt always be considerate of others' time whilst they seek to help you.

    Love 'em. I can see you now Ms. Edie, descending with two stone tablets, one strand of hair across your forehead, a look of determination on your face. Yes ma'am... whatever you say. God's blessings for this morning's smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jim, you always make me smile! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Thou shalt not use offensive words in thy posts. (I have unfriended people for using,"blue language. People who attended my church.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, are you right about autocorrect! Sometimes, it even changes things as you hit send, even though you edited it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, it most certainly does! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. For sure. I was using audible once and I was saying 'My fence fell down'. Autocorrect kept changing it to 'My pants fell down'. I finally had to type it out and still had problems. (BTW this is a true story.)

      Delete
  4. Great commandments.
    Number 8 is the one I find more irritating. Those auto responders make me want to unfollow people.
    I would add "Thou shall not use more than 3 hastags."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingmar, I completely agree with the hashtags--unless you're on Instagram. The culture on IG is very different and users expect and want 20+ hashtags per update. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Thou shalt clear thy cache so thou can read other's blogs. :) Great post, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I discovered late last night there were other issues as well. It wasn't your fault! I'm certainly glad it's working now. Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. This would be a great thing to print and hang on the wall next to the computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it would be fun to have in my office! LOL! Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. My headshots are getting very old! I'm still recognizable, but....lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're definitely good! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. God bless you, Miss Edie Moses, I mean Melson...you are the best! Thanks for sharing such great support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thou shalt pray before posting any message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, that would be the MOST important one of all! Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Don't think I could add anything here. Funny and true. Auto correct is a humbug, and my son and I almost came to blows over the 'headshot'. I wanted something somewhat dignified, and he wanted me to look friendly. We went with neither dignified, nor friendly. LOL

    ReplyDelete