Thursday, March 8, 2018

I've Stepped Outside My Writing Comfort Zone

Taken at Bear Lake, in the Rocky Mountain National Park near Estes Park Colorado.

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Publishing, even though it can be a tough dream to follow, is a familiar place for me. I know the lingo the etiquette, and what to expect. 

But God often calls us outside our comfort zone. And He's gifted me with more than just a love for words. He's given me a photographer's eye. 

It's something my daddy had too. And in the years since my daddy passed, I've been reconnecting with sweet memories I shared with him and his camera by taking time to view life through a lens. 

I would never give up my first love of letters. But I think there might be room in my life for a camera, too. So I'm in the process of stretching myself and moving out of what's comfortable. 

This week I really took a leap. I entered my very first photography competition. It's a small one, something I saw on Instagram. There's actually more than one way to win. There's the regular judged part of the competition, and then there's the People's Choice category. I submitted a photo and asked my friends and family on social media to vote for me.  

So many have already supported me and I'm actually neck-and-neck for first place in People's Choice. 

It's exciting and super scary. Suppose God really does want me to add a photography element to my publishing dreams? Do I have time, or even the energy?

One thing I've learned is this. I'll never know unless I try. 

So for each of you wondering if God really is speaking to you, I encourage you to take a chance. Make that leap and be willing to see the great things God can do. 

And if you have a minute, there are only a few hours left for the competition. It ends at 6pm EST tonight, March 8. Could you possibly go by and vote for my picture? The link to my image is below (it's the one pictured at the top of this post). For all of you who have already voted and shared on social media, THANK YOU!

https://arcadebelts.wishpond.com/scott-kranz-arcade-photo-contest/entries/172844153

Now I have a question for you. What tugs do you feel about leaving your comfort zone? Share your experiences and let's cheer each other on.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES
I'm stepping out of my #writing comfort zone & looking at life through a lens. Can you vote for my image? (Click to Tweet)

Stepping out of our #writing comfort zone can be scary & exhilarating - @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


23 comments:

  1. There's no doubt you have a photographer's eye. I look forward to seeing what God will do with your talent! (Voted!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "outside the zone" experience is this. Learning to use the talents God blessed me with to glorify Him. I've made a long career writing, but writing because God called me to scares me silly. Add one vote and asking for more. God's blessings Ms. Edie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I think you’ve shared something important. So many of us go through life doing our best, but when God speaks it makes us take it up a notch. I’ve found this in my own life. But God took this thought one step further and reminded me that as a believer EVERYTHING I do is for Him and I need to treat even the most humble of tasks. Thanks for the vote and sharing and especially for sharing your thoughts! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. You can do it, Edie!! When it's a gifted talent, it becomes the yin to your yang (writing). I found that with my theatre work. It compliments my writing, .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, youre so right! When I rechathe my creative batteries with photography, my writing is better. Great insight, thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photo. You have one more vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point, Jim! It's a scary and humbling thing to write because of a calling. I don't want to mess up! Thanks for all you do for the writing community, Edie. Add one vote and I shared on FB to get some more. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I really appreciate that!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for such a sweet blessing Ms. Linda. Right back at ya' ma'am.

      Delete
  6. Voted! I LOVE your photography! This picture is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edie, I'm so proud of you! You do have an eye for framing a moment. This is spectacular! I voted and have shared. Last week, I was praying in the spirit and this prayer came out of my mouth and definitely from outside my comfort zone; "Lord, give me something too big for me!" (What?!) But it kept coming, over and over as I prayed, it came out stronger and louder. I realize this is the best way to fully glorify Him. If we are doing just what we are currently capable of doing, it's not big enough. Still scares me, but I am ready. My friend, will you join me in praying, Give me something too big for me, Lord!?!

    Oh and do you remember that only a few weeks ago I said, I can't do it...and my beautiful new friend said, "Yes, you can. You can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens you!" (Back to you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, thank you! Yes, I do remember saying that. How quickly we forget the truth we speak to others! Thank you, dear friend!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photo. You've got my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Edie. I joined the conversation too late to vote! But you definitely have "the gift," and with talent like that, there's no doubt God has blessed you with it for a purpose. It's going to be exciting to see where this new path takes you! -- And, by the way, did your photo win? :)

    ReplyDelete