Friday, November 24, 2017

Don’t Let Rejections Derail Your Writing Journey


by Lori Hatcher @LoriHatcher2

Here you go again. You click on the email from the publication or publishing house you’ve been dying to write for and find the all-too-familiar email: Thank you for your submission. Unfortunately, it doesn’t meet our editorial needs at this time.

We’ve all heard stories of best-selling writers who wallpapered their offices with rejection letters before they finally received their first YES. In this era of email, however, I’ve never been similarly motivated to use my own paper and ink to document yet another “failure”? Not me. Click. Delete.

But even though others can’t see our virtual stack of rejection emails, we know they’re there. And no matter how far we travel in our writing journey, they still contain the power to discourage us.

I recently received a particularly disappointing No on a proposal I felt really good about. Tears stung the corners of my eyes as I read the words on the screen. The voices in my head immediately started chattering.
  • You’ll never write well enough.
  • There will always be someone better than you.
  • What makes you think you have something to say that people will actually pay money for?
  • And the most tempting of them all: You should quit trying. Rejection is just too painful.

But then a different voice spoke up. One with authority and power. This is what it said:
  • I am sovereign, and I work all things according to my will. No plan of mine will be thwarted (Job 42:2).
  • My ways are not your ways, neither are your ways my ways. (Isa. 55:8)
  • For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay (Hab. 2:3)

And the most helpful words of all:
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths (Prov. 3:5-6)

If you’re discouraged about your writing journey, let the power of God’s Wordwash over you today. Insert your name into the promises hes given. Claim them as your own. Let God speak truth to your heart.
  • ________________, (your name) I am sovereign. I work all things according to my will. No plan of mine will be thwarted.
  • _________________, (your name) my ways are not your ways, neither are your ways my ways. 
  • _________________, (your name) the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.
  • _________________, (your name) trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your path.

Fellow writer, don’t grow weary of doing good, for we will reap a harvest if we don’t give up (Gal. 6:9). 
Now, back to work. We have a calling to fulfill.

When rejection discourages you, which promises of God restore your perspective? Leave a comment below and join the conversation.

TWEETABLES
Don't let rejections derail your #writing journey - wisdom from @LoriHatcher2 on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

When #writing rejections discourage, let the promises of God renew your resolve - @LoriHatche2 on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful and motivating post, Lori. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can only add an "Amen" Ms. Lori. Yet again, I'll have to copy, paste, and print this to keep handy. Am learning that rejections just mean that this is not the place where God wants my work for Him published. God's blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lori, for a beautiful and encouraging post. I needed to read every word. A keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, encouraging and accurate. Thank you Lori. Praying we can keep the promises in front as we continue in our calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing! I just got another rejection the day before Thanksgiving. I try to remember to be thankful for the rejections, because if the time is right, and the people are right, God will take care of it. Thank you, Edie!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, you, Edie and Cindy Sproles are my writing inspirations to learn from. But with that said I also struggle with the voices that say "I will never be as good as they are." Thanks for your honesty and willingness to share and for giving writers encouragement through your journey.

    ReplyDelete