Sunday, September 3, 2017

Writing as Worship

by Danetta Kellar @DanettaKellar


Sometimes when we write, we can feel God's presence and His pleasure.
If I say, “I won’t mention Him or speak any longer in His name,” His message becomes a fire burning in my heart, shut up in my bones. I become tired of holding it in, and I cannot prevail. Jeremiah 20:9, HCSB

I was deep in, down under, immersed in that sacred place with my words and my God. Copies of a revised manuscript lay strewn across the coffee shop table as I paced and prayed, pausing intermittently to fire off sentences on the keyboard like cannon blasts of praise.

Within my soul, inside the most central part of who I am, I knew I was doing exactly what I was created to do. The more I wrote, the more I could feel God’s delight. Immersed in worship, indescribable joy rising, I brought him my gift.

I do not always feel such clarity and elation when I write. Sometimes I hold the words back, wrestling to keep them from disrupting my life. My struggle never lasts long, though, because I cannot bear the pressure. Bursting forth like a storm, those words eventually force their way out of my soul toward heaven as they were meant to.

Sometimes worship looks like obedience, submission to the gift within us that demands to be shared.

Sometimes it looks like jubilation and delight.

God creates some people to worship through writing, whatever form it may take. The words rise up in their heads, their hearts, demanding release.

Like Jeremiah, God’s message becomes a fire burning in their hearts, shut up in their bones.

When they write, they feel God’s presence and good pleasure, knowing without doubt this is what they were created to do.

When I write, I worship. May my offering of written words day after day be pleasing to the Lord, a fragrant gift to the Living Word himself.

Lord, thank you for giving me the privilege of worshiping you through writing. To your great name be all the glory in my words. Amen.

TWEETABLES
#Writing as worship - @DanettaKellar on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Sometimes when we #write, we feel God's presence & know it's what we're created to do - @DanettaKellar (Click to Tweet)


Danetta Kellar is a writer, blogger, and speaker. Her interesting life has taken her around the globe, where she has had the privilege to witness firsthand the transformation of women from all walks of life and culture as they exchange lies for the Truth found in Christ. 

Her writing flows out of this rich experience and her own continual search for treasures in life’s darkness. Connect with Danetta online through her blog, Riches Out of Darkness, and on Facebook, or Twitter. 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you Danetta for your words of encouragement. I tend to forget my writing is worship to God. This article has helped me view my writing as I should - an offering to my King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often forget also... so happy this spoke to you Sheryl. Blessings to you today!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment, Maria. I hope your writing is enriched this week. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  3. love love love this post!!! it's only been recently that i truly thought of my writing as worship! several years ago i was walking around a lake, a praise song that i had been listening to going through my mind, "all creation worships You." my gaze fell on the branches of the trees above me and i wondered and asked, "how does a tree worship You?"
    His answer was simple and profound, "by being what I created it to be."
    as writers, so too are our words then, worship to Him. thank you, Danetta, for such a precious post today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I am glad you understand what I was trying to communicate. It is difficult to put worship into words, even when our medium is words! Grace to you today.

      Delete
  4. So encouraging. Letting go with our deepest praise is hard sometimes, because we become more vulnerable and allow people to see into our innermost thoughts, our very heart. But, as it is in any worship service, we are so well rewarded for letting go. Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we are not alone in making ourselves vulnerable, Betty. We writers are letting others glimpse our most treasured place with God. May you have a lovely week worshiping with your words!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing!! I found this post so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful something I wrote brought encouragement to you today, Hannah. I hope your words this week flow freely and you feel fulfilled as you write. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Yes! Oh, yes! You express my own experience so well! I feel closest to my Lord when I go to my secret writing place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to be understood, Miss Kathy. Thank you for identifying with what I tried imperfectly to communicate. Blessings to you today.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Danetta! I can so relate to what you wrote. Writing As Worship - Hmm. Sounds like a book you may wish to write. :)


    Blessings,

    MaryAnn
    ______________________________
    MaryAnn Diorio, PhD, DMin, MFA
    Author & Writing Coach
    www.maryanndiorio.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, your comment made me chuckle. Thank you for the encouragement. Maybe one day! In the meantime I am still learning to worship him as I write each day. Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  8. I needed this today. My writing gets derailed too often by obstacles such as time, money, lack of support from my husband.
    Worshipping God through my writing gives me strength to overcome the obstacles.

    ReplyDelete