Saturday, September 30, 2017

Focusing on God so Our Colors Shine Through

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson Instagram: @Stop2Pray
It's not the size of our trials, but the size of our God that affects whether or not our colors shine through
And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Romans 5:3-5

Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love the cool, crisp days that bring relief from summer’s heat. But most of all, I love the beautiful colors adorning the trees in our Blue Ridge Mountains. My husband and I get great joy from driving through the mountains to see the changing leaves. It always amazes me how vibrant the colors are and, until recently. I took that beauty for granted. 

Last year, I learned what makes the trees brighter some years as opposed to others. The intensity and brilliance of the colors is virtually unaffected by the amount of stress the tree has suffered during the previous season—as long as it has plenty of rain—at the exact right time. That knowledge stopped me in my tracks, as God immediately began to apply its spiritual truth to my life. It didn’t matter how great the trial, as long as I looked to Him for provision, I could come through triumphant.

Inevitably, I began to think about people around me who’ve suffered intense pain and come through to a place of peace. I could see that the constant in their lives had also been the Living Water of God’s Spirit, sustaining them, no matter the stress. The more God worked through their stress and suffering, the more vibrantly His brilliance shined through them.

Now this knowledge leads me to a choice. Will I fight God’s plan, turn my back on Him, and seek the path of least resistance—the path that leads to a life without color? Or will I let God transform my trials and tribulations into brilliance?

13 comments:

  1. Edie, thank you for this much needed post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lord for the wonderful light you shine through this dear child of God. Ms. Edie, I thank you for your willingness to share the light of God's love in this world. You and the many others (Ms. Linda G) comes to mind, inspire me to reach for greatness in honoring and bringing glory to our God. This world is be better place because people like you and the other commenters here are in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I so appreciate your encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Love this, Edie. Perseverance ultimately leads to others seeing God's work in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Such a great picture of God's faithfulness and how He gives us everything we need to be bright and beautiful when we allow Him to fill us with His Word and Spirit - our living water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You Edie. As I continue to press in, without feeling Him, you encouraged me to keep watering my heart with His Word. This lonely season will pass. Hopefully in a blaze of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I'm praying daily for you both. You're such an encouragement to me and so many others! Blessings, E

      Delete