Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Equipped Writer

by Henry McLaughlin @RiverBendSagas

God has a will, or a plan for each of us. Psalm 139:16 (NLT) tells us, You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

Each of us is on this earth for a specific reason. We may not know it completely right now. We may be in a season of preparation to enter that calling. But God has a plan for me and for you.

Some are called to be pastors and teachers, some doctors, lawyers. Some to be auto mechanics, electricians, and plumbers. With God’s anointing, all are worthy because all are done in his service.

Some, like myself, are called to be writers.

In Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT), God tells us “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Whatever our calling, God will not just throw us into it, like throwing a toddler into the pool so he has to learn to swim. He prepares us.

What makes the preparation fun, and at times frustrating, is that it’s unique for each of us. One person may go through an entirely different set of life experiences than me, yet end up as a writer. I think this is another example of how God cares for us as individuals. He has a unique and personal relationship with each of us. We are all His favorite child.
And he equips us.

Hebrews 13:21 (NLT) may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.

From childhood, I’ve had a love for words and books, for reading, for stories. In my career, each job has called for me to read more, to read better, and to write: case records, personnel reports, court documents, training curriculum, and policy and procedure.

Then the glimmer of writing fiction stirred in my heart. And the equipping continued. Books on writing, writing conferences and classes, critique groups, critique partners, mentors, coaches, developing a learning heart and a thick skin. All designed to teach me the craft and the business of writing, to humble myself before Him, to submit to His plan and will for my life.

And it’s been worth every step. It goes beyond being published. I’ve become a better person and a better Christian. My relationship with Him is closer than ever. He’s rewarded me with insights into myself and with precious friendships I would never have experienced had I not made the choice to follow what He called me to do.

What is He calling you to do? How is He equipping you?

TWEETABLE

Henry’s debut novel, Journey to Riverbend, won the 2009 Operation First Novel contest. 

He serves as Associate Director of North Texas Christian Writers. 


Henry edits novels, leads critique groups, and teaches at conferences and workshops. He enjoys mentoring and coaching individual writers. 


Connect with Henry on his blogTwitter and Facebook.

12 comments:

  1. Henry, Thank you for sharing. God called me 2.5 years ago to write. I know my primary calling is to encourage writers. I'm most joyful when He uses me. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherrilynn. Thanks for stopping by. You're right. There is a joy that comes from knowing we a re walking in what He has called us to do and to be.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Ingmar and I'm grateful this article blessed you.

      Delete
  4. Sage and timely advice, Henry. I love what you said about becoming a better person and Christian through the writing journey. I wholeheartedly agree. And the relationships we make are priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Andrea. The friends I have made during this journey are the closest of all because we've supported , encouraged and helped each other every step. These friends have been vital to my growth as a writer and a Christian.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Henry. I've always had the desire to write, but there is a specific point where I felt called to write. However, I kept pushing it off because I was a HS/college English teacher raising a family, so I didn't have time or creative energy to write a book. It took me 11 years to finally start, but I joke that I had to write so God would quit nagging me. :) And you're right. Once I gave in, He equipped me. I'll be forever amazed at all the "God moments" that have happened on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your obedience to Him warms my heart, Karen. And he does nag but in a loving way.

      Delete
  6. Henry: I am on the brink of becoming published. Thank you for your words,"It goes beyond being published. I’ve become a better person and a better Christian. My relationship with Him is closer than ever. He’s rewarded me with insights into myself and with precious friendships I would never have experienced had I not made the choice to follow what He called me to do." They resonate with what I am feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Congratulations on being published. The call to write has opened so much for me. I'm glad you're experiencing it to. Treasure it.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Edie! I needed this today. I love writing. It is my source of time with Him, understanding what He needs my simple little heart to know, but my writing has come from walking through lonely and dark places and at times I want to stand up from my "seat" and have the life that I would have planned verses the one I am living. Surrendering to His call has proven to be an ongoing daily choice of dying to myself and living for Him even if it isn't going exactly like I would have wanted. Knowing His character, that He loves me and is good helps in those moments of letting go of what I wanted in order to fully embrace who I am in Him. I need posts like this to help me in moving forward in that way. So thank you!!

    ReplyDelete