Sunday, March 5, 2017

How Jesus Handled the Words Given Him

by Danetta Kellar @DanettaKellar

For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. John 17:8

We can learn much from the way Jesus handled words. In fact, his handling of words should be the metric by which we measure our own stewardship of this privileged craft.

The Words You Gave Me

Everyone is given words, be he a writer, a teacher, a parent, a store manager. A follower of Jesus, an atheist, both have the power of words. The One who created the world with words also breathed his life and spirit into his colloquy, giving each one the miraculous gift of word power. The foxes do not have it. The birds cannot formulate language, though their songs lift the soul. The squirrels in their chatter never wield the power of destruction or construction with the syllables they form.

But humans have been given words.

They Knew With Certainty and They Believed

The litmus test of our words is the response of others. Those hearers of Jesus knew with certainty  that Jesus came from God. This knowledge led to belief.

Words are a unique channel between human souls. You can touch a soul with words. Be careful how you handle that soul so dear to God, how you touch it. It is not as unmalleable as playground rhymes would make it seem.

Do my words today inspire spiritual certainty in my hearers?

Do they lead to belief in the hearts of those who listen? Belief in God?

Is it clear from what I say, what I write, that God is the Giver of the Words?

Sent by God

One evening I was troubled in my spirit. I was wrestling with a decision and the confidence to make it. My life was at a tipping point, and I felt that the way I handled my circumstances at that time would determine my path for years to come. Sleep was difficult that night.

The next morning, my father-in-love came to me. “Danetta, I spent the night in prayer for you. God woke me up and gave me a message for you. You are in charge of you. You can do anything you decide to do. And I will strengthen you to do it. Believe in yourself. I am with you.”

I stood stock-still, my morning coffee forgotten.

My struggle had been private, quiet. I had told no one. Only God could have given Dad those words. Only the Master Craftsman of Words knew exactly what would empower me.

Dad’s obedience to speak them pointed me directly to God, and to a deep certainty of His will. I still return to those words often today when I need the strength to stay the course.

When we handle the words God has given us with love and obedience, giving them away to those for whom they were intended, people’s lives, their entire belief systems, are changed.

That is the power of your words today.

Handle them with care and humility, Crafter.

Lord, may I be a worthy and considerate steward of the words You have given me today. Amen.

TWEETABLES
The litmus test of our words is the response of others - @DanettaKellar (Click to Tweet)

How Jesus handled the words given Him - @DanettaKellar on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Danetta Kellar is a writer, blogger, and speaker. Her interesting life has taken her around the globe, where she has had the privilege to witness firsthand the transformation of women from all walks of life and culture as they exchange lies for the Truth found in Christ. 

Her writing flows out of this rich experience and her own continual search for treasures in life’s darkness. Connect with Danetta online through her blog, Riches Out of Darkness, and on Facebook, or Twitter. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Danetta. Words are powerful, and you handle them so well!
    Blessings, my friend.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you do too my friend. I am happy we are fellow scribes:).

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Danetta. This is not only my writing platform, but my life platform, the power of words. As I began to grasp the Truth of this nearly 30 years ago, my life was changed.
    thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Robin. I am sure your writing brings much glory to Him with this as your platform. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! just what I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie. I am so glad it resonated with you. I am still learning to handle my words carefully, and so grateful God has given us the privilege of writing for Him.

      Delete