Sunday, January 22, 2017

Faith Like a Taco

by Rhonda Rhea @RhondaRhea

Okay, so here’s an idea. A taco, but with a folded hamburger patty for the shell. Because nobody lives forever anyway.

It makes me want to imagine there’s actually a quote that goes, “Ask not for whom the Taco Bell tolls. It probably tolls for thee.” 

I’m not sure how to stop my brain from coming up with new ideas that add fat content to my diet by the thigh-load. You’d think my cholesterol numbers would scare me straight. Of course, this is precisely why I don’t regularly have my cholesterol checked. Knowing might actually be a strain on my heart.

Some people don’t know that cholesterol can produce extra adrenaline that way. I do wonder if at some point my heart and thighs will together rise up and tell me enough is enough.

When it comes to faith, though, is there ever a point we feel we have enough? And how much would that be? Even the disciples asked Jesus to grow their faith (Luke 17:5) and they were eye-witnesses to the miracles of Christ. They heard His words firsthand.

This life is full of challenges. We need a faith that’s not merely “enough.” We need faith that’s meaty. Double-meaty, even.

We beef up our faith every time we remember exactly where that faith is placed. 

It’s not faith in faith. That’s just a lot of extra fat. Hebrews 12:2 refers to Jesus as “the author and perfecter of faith,” (NASB). Our “Author” creates our faith in the first place. The Greek word used there can also mean “captain.” The word for “perfecter” means “completer” or “finisher.” He originates, creates, generates our faith. He captains, steers, controls our faith. We can fully trust Him to perfect, complete, sustain our faith.

Take a look at the paraphrase: “No extra spiritual fat…Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in... When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!” (Hebrews 12:1-3, MSG).

Each time we think of the One who originated and sustains our faith, and each time we remember the cross of Christ and all that’s been done to complete our faith, it revs our faith up all the more. We’re talking good adrenaline here. Not a strain on the heart. As a matter of fact, nothing is heart-healthier.
All the Lord has done for our faith is oh so enough. Our faith can rest in His “enough-ness.” The hymn* says it so well:

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.


Let’s fix our eyes on Him and His “enough-ness” and let our faith pleasantly rest there. And let it flourish there.

Faith in Him. Faith in what He accomplished on the cross. It’s faith folded into faith. And that’s beefy. In only the very best ways. 

TWEETABLES
We need a #faith that’s not merely “enough.” We need faith that’s meaty. @RhondaRhea (Click to Tweet)

We beef up our faith every time we remember exactly where that faith is placed.  @RhondaRhea (Click to Tweet)

*(“My Faith Has Found a Resting Place” by Eliza E. Hewitt in Songs of Joy and Gladness, 1891.)

Rhonda Rhea is a humor columnist for lots of great magazines, including HomeLife, Leading Hearts, The Pathway and more. She is the author of 10 nonfiction books, including How Many Lightbulbs Does It Take to Change a Person? and coauthors fiction with her daughter, Kaley Faith Rhea. She and her daughters host the TV show, That’s My Mom, for Christian Television Network’s KNLJ. Rhonda enjoys traveling the country speaking at all kinds of conferences and events. She and her pastor/hubs have five grown children and live in the St. Louis area.

8 comments:

  1. Faith that is seasoned in adversity is the strongest! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Rhonda. As Hebrews 11:6 tells us, "And without faith it is impossible to please God." We struggle not because His ways are complicated, but because they are simple. Merely trusting Him to do, and guide us to do, the right thing seems too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent read, excellent message, Rhonda. The whole concept of "enough-ness" is one of life's mysteries to me. Most people I have ever met seem to choose the path of least resistance ( or most pleasure) even though wisdom cautions against. They settled for less. On the other hand, most people I have ever met who have meaty accomplishments chose a more difficult path. One that required more faith, more effort, and usually more time. Successful business owners know full well the principle of Cost - Benefit Analysis in order to manage the journey. To your point, that success for Christians includes faith, prayer, and gratitude. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep observations--and thank you, Jay. I wish I could say I was NEVER one who chooses that path of least resistance. Ugh. Resistance. I like comfort and ease so much more. Except that I know it's never comfy long. And it's never worth it. The cost. The benefit. Truth! Thanks for weighing in!

      Delete
  4. Rhonda, I love the analogy of the taco with the hamburger patty shell...and then the lines "It's not faith in faith. That's just a lot of extra fat." I needed this reminder about His "enough-ness"!

    ReplyDelete