Sunday, January 1, 2017

A New Year’s Resolution for Those Who Have Failed

by Danetta Kellar @DanettaKellar

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:21-23)

There it was again. Stubborn, perseverant, relentless in its loyalty. The sunrise painted my sky with such intimate, vibrant colors I felt almost embarrassed at its display of faithful love. I lay in my bed, willing myself to stay depressed though the walls of my bedroom pulsated with God’s concert of color, seemingly just for me.

Morning after morning, the sunrise heralded hope. Morning after morning, I tried to shut it out.

One pre-dawn as I lay sleeping, I had a dream. The sky was there again, but this time it was almost electric in its power. I watched as the colors danced and changed, sang to me. A voice said to me in the dream, My compassion for you is new every morning.

I sat straight up, fully awake. The sun had not actually risen yet, at least in this world. But the colors of my dream filled my mind, and I felt an estranged emotion return to my soul. I was flooded with hope. The last vestiges of my resistance dissolved as I read the words of Lamentations 3: Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope…his compassions never fail…they are new every morning…

We are loved not for our failures, our depression, our anxieties. We are loved in the midst of them, despite them, through them. God’s compassion paints a fresh start for every one of us every single morning. Without fail. Faithfully.

The new year is a tremendous opportunity to lay aside our resistance and lean into hope. His love for us is great; his compassion never fails. It is new every morning.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope… let this be our New Year’s Resolution today, and every day this year.

Lord, thank you for a compassion I cannot fathom. I choose to believe it is for me. And I will cling to its newness morning after morning this new year. Amen.

TWEETABLE

Danetta Kellar is a writer, blogger, and speaker. Her interesting life has taken her around the globe, where she has had the privilege to witness firsthand the transformation of women from all walks of life and culture as they exchange lies for the Truth found in Christ. 

Her writing flows out of this rich experience and her own continual search for treasures in life’s darkness. Connect with Danetta online through her blog, Riches Out of Darkness, and on Facebook, or Twitter.  

6 comments:

  1. This scripture has been on my heart for several days now. It's not as though I've failed, but it "feels" like a failure. Praise God for his new mercies, sunrises, new grace every morning. Thank you for this post, Danetta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Angie. We do "feel" failure sometimes even when perhaps we can't put our finger on the failure. God is the God of our feelings too and He picks us up and gives us new grace. Blessing to you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and encouraging! Blessings to you today!

      Delete
  3. This is so beauti






    Very powerful words. Thank you for sharing


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to depend on those new mercies every day. I'm thankful these words spoke to you. Thanks for reading! Blessings!

      Delete