Friday, October 7, 2016

Writing Lessons I’ve Learned from Cancer

by Bruce Brady @BDBrady007

Cancer has its ups and downs.

Fortunately, my dependence on God has made the downs less deep and short in duration.

Wait! I’m glad God is keeping you out of the pits. But seriously? Cancer has ups?

I know it’s hard to believe, but…yes.

Recently I’ve expressed what I believe to be God’s cry for us to write without including profanity, graphic violence, and explicit sex. He’s made it clear to me that their use is a quick fix to avoid investing more time and thought into ways of expressing frustration, anger, and physical intimacy. There are better ways that allow our readers to engage their imaginations. And honor God with our writing.

This thought process arose from my daily conversations with the Lord—conversations that opened my eyes to the benefits of many life experiences we classify as negatives.

What does this have to do with cancer?

I’m glad you asked.

Seventeen months ago, I was diagnosed with Stage IV, aggressive, incurable cancer, and told it would kill me in two years or less. Big down.

There are times in our writing process when we
get the wind knocked out of us.
There are times in our writing process when we get the wind knocked out of us. We work and rework our manuscripts until we’re sure they’re perfect only to have an agent, editor, or trusted critic tell us it’s not ready, or worse—hopeless. Also a big down.

While the cancer news was a huge bummer, it forced me to reassess my life. My purpose. I cried out to God and He focused my thoughts on the important rather than the urgent. I needed to ensure my wife and family weren’t left with unfinished business that should have been handled before my departure. My short life expectancy compelled me to look long and hard at the influence I have on others. For better or worse, we all influence others. And the Holy Spirit had long conversations with me about honoring the Lord.

This unpleasant process was sobering but needed. Many good things resulted. A big up.

Being rejected by respected critics can be just as painful as the news I received. And just as good. If we take those rejections as calls to action—and we should—good will come from them. Rejections aren’t personal. What we do doesn’t define us. So when those we trust say our writing isn’t what it should or could be, go to God. Yes, we’ll probably spend a little time in the well of despair, but the Lord will pull us out and give us the direction we need. In the end, things will be better. No matter how bad they seem.

Eight months after my initial diagnosis, my cancer had gone from extremely aggressive to nearly gone. I was on an emotional high—death wasn’t eminent. I would live at least another decade. And I kept my focus on the important, and have received innumerable blessings. More ups.

Having done the hard work of rewriting—again and again if necessary—we can present our revised masterpieces for acceptance. Sometimes we’ll succeed. Sometimes we’ll be advised to seek other ideas or avenues. Either way, the process will make us better writers. And we can turn the noes turn to yeses.

Nine months of riding my near complete remission high, Big C’s aggression returned with a vengeance. It dealt a crushing blow that plunged me into the deepest depression I’ve known. The enemy pointed out every ache and pain, assured me I’d be lucky to live a few more weeks—at best. He relentlessly encouraged me to give up writing. Reminding me it takes a couple of years to get published and I wouldn’t live long enough to see that happen. Visions of my family mourning over my remains filled my head.

My self-pity only lasted a few hours before God, as He always does, broke through and pulled me out of my pit, restoring my joy, despite my declining medical condition.

The enemy will reach out to all of us with reasons we should give up. Either directly or through others, he’ll try to convince us we’re not talented enough, or don’t have the necessary education. He’ll tell us we’re too old, too young, too sick, or too busy to write. He’ll present myriad reasons why we should just give up. These are the times when we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and reach out to the Lord. And when we do, He will restore our hope.

Like cancer, our enemy respects all people. No matter our color or race. Regardless of our political or spiritual beliefs. He does not reserve his lies for some and shun others. He lurks in the darkness, looking for a chance to move into our lives.


When he visits you, turn to the Creator and who will shine the light of truth in that darkness. Let Him express His love for you. Let Him bathe you in peace and joy. Let Him turn your downs into ups.

TWEETABLES


Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.

When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

“My dream is to entertain my readers and give them hope as they travel the rocky road of life.”

45 comments:

  1. Bruce, thank you for your wise words. God is our great Restorer and our source of joy. Be blessed, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, DiAnn. Only He can heal me. And only He decides what that means. Either way, I look forward to His healing. It's all good. Be blessed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, Thank you for the encouragement to stay strong and pure in the Lord and our writing. My son thinks swearing is cool,"Well so and so swears." I tell him, "You are smart and can use other words instead of profanity." He cannot argue with that. I will pray for you, my brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherrilynn. I'll pray for you and your son.

      Delete
  4. Hey Bruce, it gives me hope to see you strive ahead with such faith. I will definitely be praying for God's healing while you are still here. I do believe He is not done with you yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I'm in good hands, as are you.

      Delete
    2. Bruce, it's so good to hear your testimony through such a long and rough battle. Having had a medical condition that changed my life too,I agree that focus is extremely important. I've been tempted to anger la tely but y ou're right. That comes from Satan and we have to fight it. Thanks for the reminder today .

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ellen. I know your struggles and gain strength from your courage. Keep fighting the good fight, and it's okay to tell the Lord you're angry. He understands and will comfort you.

      Delete
  5. I am truly sorry to hear that you are again dealing with the "C". I've been going through a similar thing with a friend. Remission for 7 months, now it's back. She begins new treatment next week. I can see it in her eyes - the fear. Only God can turn our troubles to joy, our fear to dancing. My prayer is that she finds the strength that you have through the Lord. I will pray for your journey Bruce. Our hopes will never go unanswered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words. And please tell your friend to take a deep breath and trust God. He will show her what good will come of it.

      Delete
  6. Bruce, thank you for sharing your heart. And you wisdom. My heart breaks at the news the the cancer is back, but my heart rejoices in knowing that you have hope in the One who can heal you whichever side of heaven that may be. I'll be praying for you and encourage you to continue to write. Prayerfully, your words will flow for that decade you talked about--or TWO! Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynette. Hugs and love to you also. I'll keep writing until I get a publishing gig in heaven.

      Delete
  7. Precious truths. Thank you, Bruce. I needed them today. I need to hear the Lord and allow Him to refine my focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne. He's been giving me truths and refining my focus for a while now, and for a couple of months He's been teaching me to WAIT on Him to write with Him, not for Him. I'm looking forward to our new journey.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Bruce, I'm so sorry for what you're having to go through. Roadblocks to what we thought our life plan would be can be terrifying. However, God uses them to reach people who might not otherwise be open to His word. I will pray you through this season of pain and fear. May He open doors for you that you never knew were possible. Thank you for your candor and encouragement. My precarious health is not from "C", but I understand the journey. He will be by your side to ensure that you are able to complete the task He has for you, whether it's 10 years, 20 years, or an amazing 30 years. Hugs, my brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I know He has plans for me and am excited to live them. Surprisingly, He's blessed me with little to no pain most of the time, and no real fear. I know He's got this. I know He will use it for good.

      Delete
  9. You are such an inspiration, Bruce. These are beautiful and encouraging words. Even without the threat of the big C, we should all make sure our focus is in the right direction. Sending prayers and cyber hugs your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I'm blessed by the new focus I've received from Him. Hugs and prayers back at ya, my friend.

      Delete
  10. I'm saddened to read this blog as I did not know you were in this place again. But thank you for your encouragement, your faithful testimony, and your words of hope. May God continue to bless your words and your life for His eternal kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen. You know I consider you family and appreciate all you do for our family. I look forward to many more meetings with you.

      Delete
  11. Inspiring words for us all, Bruce. Thank you. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dennis. I hope you'll join me in writing to bring civility back to this country, and to continue to show others there is hope with the Lord.

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry you are struggling with a return of cancer. Remember, cancer is a word and God's Word and His name are above all earthly names. I am praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I do understand that cancer is just a word and appreciate your reminder. I fully realize what total dependence on Him, and how it is the only hope any of us truly have. Thank you for your prayers and your friendship.

      Delete
  13. This is beautiful. Such hope-filled words.
    Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I hope they've blessed you.

      Delete
  14. Thanks Bruce. Am battling renal cell carcinoma. I can't imagine going through this without the Lord. I know that Jehovah Raphael has already granted my prayer and that He is working in my body for a complete recovery. By Jesus's stripes I am healed. Being an author, your comparisons are totally on target. Thanks for the great encouragement in both of my struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo-Marie. I'm happy my words have encouraged you, and just as happy to experience the joy of writing them with Him in the lead. May God continue to bless you.

      Delete
  15. Bruce, you are one of the most courageous, faithful, and joyful people I know. You encourage others in the midst of your own struggles, which you never complain about. Know that you are surrounded by much love and countless prayers. Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too. And thanks for your contributions to my writing career, and your love. I do miss seeing you monthly, but do check in on your blog and the Cross n' Pens site.

      Delete
  16. We love you, Bruce. That's all I know to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. You and the Word Weaver family help keep me going and growing. You all are my family and I love you too.

      Delete
  17. We love you, Bruce. That's all I know to say.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bruce, you're a difference maker and an inspiration. Write on, my friend. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn. I do miss your monthly teaching and encouragement. You've made a difference in my life. Keep on touching others as you do so well.

      Delete
  19. Oh, Bruce. This deeply touched my heart. You've blessed me beyond measure countless times and especially so with the profound Christian truths in this article. You are truly a gifted godly man, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I am always encouraged by you and I love the fact that you're part of my Word Weaver family.

      Delete
  20. You have our love and prayers. Thanks for your honest heart-sharing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marti. Your faithfulness has always impressed me, and influenced my own. I cherish your friendship and appreciate your prayers.

      Delete
  21. Blessings and hope for today, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for always sharing from the heart. We do need books that don't promote worldliness as our society grows more secular. Young people needs examples of honor. Not characters or stories free from problems and failing, but characters that have real struggles and seek God's help. Thank you for encouraging others when you are going through an extremely hard time. I'm praying for you and your writing. We love you, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy. I'm happy I had a chance to meet you. I love your heart and pray your stories reach millions for Him. You have affected my life profoundly and I'm proud to call you sister.

      Delete
  23. Bruce, thanks for these words. Someone I love dearly has stage 4 after being in remission for years. As with grief, these times draw us ever closer into intimacy with God. I do thank you for your insights into life and legacy. I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you, Bruce. I needed to receive this message this very evening.
    May the Lord continue to bless you with ups and downs that you might share His intervention with your readers. Amen

    ReplyDelete