Sunday, August 7, 2016

The Lord Weighs the Heart

by Danetta Kellar @DanettaKellar


All a man’s ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart. -Proverbs 21:2, NIV

The old merchant piled the plums high on the brass scales, carefully adjusting the rusty weights to achieve a perfect balance. With a theatrical flourish, he rearranged the succulent purple fruit like an artist with his brush, adding the finishing touches to his masterpiece. It was now my turn. I nodded and smiled and showered him with the appropriate blessings and expressions of gratitude as I counted my coins carefully in my right hand. With the agility of a magician, he whisked the coins away and placed the plums in a bag. Our transaction was complete.

I arrived home and busily began preparing for my afternoon guests. Opening the bag of carefully selected plums, I recoiled as I discovered that just beneath the perfectly formed fruit at the top was a half kilo of rotten plums. I had been deceived. And with such finesse! I was not sure whether to be impressed or angry.

I can be very much like the misleading merchant in the dusty market that day. My actions may appear right to me and to others. But what motives lie beneath my carefully constructed plans? Perfectionism? Fear of failure? Approval of man? Manipulation? The Lord weighs my heart with perfectly just scales. He knows me better than I know myself. I must develop the habit of bringing my right-seeming ways to Him for just measurement upon His own scales. He will set me truly right, sending me forth with unblemished blessing. There are no deceptive surprises waiting for me in His measurement; He gives good gifts to His children. I can trust Him with my heart.

Lord, weigh my heart on Your scales today. Measure the way I take on your just scales and lead me to do Your will.

Danetta Kellar is a writer, blogger, and speaker. Her interesting life has taken her around the globe, where she has had the privilege to witness firsthand the transformation of women from all walks of life and culture as they exchange lies for the Truth found in Christ. 

Her writing flows out of this rich experience and her own continual search for treasures in life’s darkness. Connect with Danetta online through her blog, Riches Out of Darkness, and on Facebook, or Twitter. 

4 comments:

  1. Danetta, Beautifully written. I learned that motive is important to God. I have served with wrong motive and the Spirit convicted me. My favorite prayer for me and others comes from King David as he spoke to Solomon "And you, Solomon my son, obey the God of your father and serve him with a submissive attitude and a willing spirit, for the LORD examines all minds and understands every motive of one's thoughts. If you seek him, he will let you find him, but if you abandon him, he will reject you permanently." 1 Chronicles 28:9 NET I still check my motive, especially when I speak. Do I want the spotlight on me or do I want to reflect the light of praise back to the one who deserves it most? I praise God for His patience, grace and mercy when my motives are misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherrilynn you are so right about the role of the Holy Spirit in revealing our motives. We cannot justly examine our own hearts; we need to ask God to do that. Blessings to you today and thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Danetta: I had a Sunday school teacher, a pastor's wife, who tried to instill that man can do the right thing for the wrong reasons. It all comes down to motive. Sometimes, people have misunderstood me for reasons that seemed silly to me but they may have seen something not right with my reason for doing that action. I have found it is best to seek God's guidance in these things, first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, quiet spirit, for the important word "first". It is such an important reminder of a necessary discipline, to seek the Lord's guidance first, before we act, to purify our motives and lead us in the right way. Blessings to you today.

      Delete