Monday, August 29, 2016

Blog Numbers Dropping?

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I’ve had a number of similar conversations this summer. They always begin the same way, with an inquiry about how he/she can improve the numbers that are dwindling at an alarming rate. These worried bloggers are certain they’ve either done—or not done—something to cause the drop in views, comments and shares. And my answer is always the same.

A drop in blogging numbers is normal during the summer.

My one-sentence assurance is rarely enough to calm a blogger’s nerves. And that’s understandable from someone who’s seen consistent growth through out the first of the year. So today, I’m going to break down the normal ebb and flow of blogging numbers throughout the calendar year, to help you evaluate the health of your own site.

NOTE: Blogging is an art, not a science. I can share what’s normal and expected, but remember there are always exceptions. If your blog is new, I suggest you also read my post on Reasonable Blog Growth.

A Blogging Breakdown Month-by-Month

January: This is usually a good month. People are ready to get back into a routine after the holidays. They’re also looking for information to fuel any New Year’s Resolutions.

February: The momentum of January has leveled off just a bit. You should still see some growth, but most people are already burned out on New Year’s Resolutions and back in the daily grind. They’re keeping up some new habits, but not quite as active.

March: Usually about the same as January.

NOTE: The numbers of this first quarter are also dependent on the weather. If it’s been an unusually harsh winter, with lots of power outages, you’ll not see as much growth or interaction.

April: This month brings with it the hint of spring fever and you’ll again see a boost in numbers

May: Surprisingly this is often a tough month. It’s the end of the school year, with lots of inherent activities. These activities bring a halt to the growth and interactions you’ve been nurturing. I think of May as a plateau month.

June: This is the beginning of the summer slump. People are outside more, away from computers. Your blog numbers will probably reflect this. Add to this the fact that you’re probably not as consistent with your own posting schedule and it does make sense.

July: You’re in the height of the summer slump. Now is NOT the time to second-guess what you’ve been doing. Wait until everyone is back from summer vacation and see what happens.

August: This month should see an end to the downward spiral. And the end of the month will be better than the beginning.

September: This month will be much like January. People are focused on once again getting back on a regular schedule and meeting goals before the end of the year.

October: Again a month of upward movement. Everyone wants to meet goals before the holidays start.

November: This month is August in reverse. The beginning of the month is strong, but when Thanksgiving draws near online activity dwindles.

December: Relax and enjoy the holidays, just like all your followers. Stay consistent, but don’t kill yourself because there’s very little you can do to increase your numbers.

I’ve been at this blogging thing a long time. I want you to have reasonable expectations and not get discouraged when normal slumps hit.

Now it’s your turn. What trends have you noticed on your own site? More importantly, what trends do you see regarding when you visit other sites? Be sure to leave your thoughts below.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

Edie

TWEETABLES



12 comments:

  1. Now Edie did you wrote this post for me? Thank you for always being a voice of reason and logic! I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danetta, I'm glad I was able to help! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I can't tell you how discouraged I've been about blog numbers and my own consistency. Thank you for posting this! It's a great boost and I'm looking forward to seeing a boom in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyneta, don't let the numbers get you down. Your blog is solid and I know you're touching hearts! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Edie, I appreciate what you've said. It pretty well mirrors what I saw in private practice with patient visits (except here in Dallas we also saw a dip during the State Fair in October). Here's another question for you. How would you respond to the argument some are making that blogs are giving way to Facebook (and, to a lesser degree, Twitter) as means of authors interacting with their readers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, thanks for that insight! As to your question, I'd say beware. Facebook - and even Twitter to a degree - will continue to change their algorithms. Our ability to reach our readers will ebb and flow at whims beyond our control. Our audience will always be able to find us when we blog. Yes, being active on social media is vital, but relying solely on something we don't control is t wise. Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. This is so helpful, Edie! Thank you! I'm new to blogging, so I appreciate knowing what to expect. Great to see you at the conference! Thanks for taking the time to touch base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerusha, it does help to know what's reasonable - I wish someone had told me when I started! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Does it matter where you blog? I have almost no followers of the blog on my author website, which I promote on my Facebook author page. I love all the good information on these blogs Edie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, I prefer Blogger for a free site (of course, since that's where this site is hosted). But the things that drive your numbers are content, formatting, and use of keywords. Do that right and the growth will follow. Blessings, Edie

      Delete
  6. Hi Edie. Thanks for all the good info you give us. I'm noticing more and more people are reading my blog on their phones and on Facebook. And instead of leaving a comment,even my own family tends to like my post on Facebook. And yet I am noticing new people are subscribing pretty regularly. Although I love getting comments, I realize the nature of my kind of blog is such that people may not be comfortable leaving a comment. I get enough response to encourage me but should I be concerned that there aren't more comments? Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, as long as you're getting comments, it doesn't matter where they come. Some blogs get them onsite (like this one) others garner more interaction on social media. I'd say you're doing great an shouldn't worry. Blessings, E

      Delete