by Edie Melson @EdieMelson
I’ve never met anyone who has a blog and doesn’t want it to grow. One of the best ways to see that growth is to spend a little bit of time with Twitter. With the judicious use of Hashtags and a little consistent tweeting you can add another layer to your blog audience. Here’s how:
1. Make certain you have utilized your Twitter profile. People who visit your profile on Twitter will often go a step further and take a peek at your blog. Here are the things you need to have:
- A picture, preferably a full face shot with a smile.
- A link to your blog.
- An interesting and informative bio.
|Use headline techniques to compose tweets|
2. Use headline techniques to compose your tweets. These are the basic things to consider:
- It must provide the reader with a true glimpse of what to expect in your blog post.
- It needs to resonate with your reader’s urgency.
- It contains a compelling reason to visit the link.
- And most important: It does NOT give away the ending. Here’s a post I wrote on how to Utilize Headline Techniques to Compose Social MediaUpdates.
3. Plan tweets about your blog within the framework of Edie's 5 to 1 rule. Not familiar with my rule? Here it is again: For every 5 social media updates only 1 can be about you. If the other five updates are valuable to your audience they will come to trust you and be much more likely to visit the links you provide.
|Always include at least one hashtag.|
4. Always include at least one Hashtag (and no more than three) to expose your tweet to new people. This step is key. If you’re not familiar with Hashtags, visit my post on Twitter Hashtags here.
5. Be consistent in your use of Twitter. Try to schedule at least six Tweets every day. You can do this in the morning by utilizing a scheduling program like Hootsuite.
Using these techniques I’ve increased the visibility of my blog and grown my Twitter followers. These simple steps can work for you as well.
Don’t forget to join the conversation!