Sunday, May 1, 2016

You Were Made for Home

by Danetta Kellar @DanettaKellar

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” -Psalm 91:1-2

It took me several years after returning to the United States from Africa to get used to living in a secure home. Every time it rained, I would fight the urge to check all the windows, making sure nothing of value was in danger of being spoiled by rain. Our first house in East Africa was made of mud, and the walls literally melted a bit when rainy season came in all its torrential strength. Later we lived in a vast, ancient house that was constantly crumbling, a house that had a partially open courtyard and no glass windows. During the rains, we retreated into dry corners far from the constant wetness. It was not uncommon for household items to be damaged if we were not vigilant.

Now we live in a house with a solid roof that does not leak. Our doors have seals and close securely. The windows close tight and keep the warmth inside. We no longer leap from our beds at the sound of the wind and rain. Instead, we turn over again under our pile of warm blankets and return to peaceful sleep.

Inside all of us is a longing for the security of home. A place of refuge and rest, quietness and peace, safety from the storms that rage outside. We were made for home.

There is a place made for you and me where we can find that rest. That place is our God, our Jehovah Shammah, or “God the Place, God our Home”. Our God is a home, a dwelling place, a prepared place, for us. No matter where we move around in the world, we have a constant home. We have a place in which to dwell, a refuge which is always ready, always near. No house built of stone or wood can boast the comfort of this home for the heart, this tower for the weak, this fortress for the oppressed. It is our own, and it is our God.

In this place, a table sits ready, laden with delicious provision for our days. By the door is a stack of our necessary things, all in readiness for the world we must face.

There is One here who works while we rest, preparing the way. He is ever awake, watching, protecting, making secure.

This is our home. This is our dwelling place. This is our Jehovah Shammah, God the Place.

Like a loving mother who first rises in the darkness of early morning to prepare for her family’s day, like a protective father who walks through the house last after all have gone to bed, checking the locks, securing the place of rest, our God is First, and He is Last. He goes before us, and He goes behind us. He surrounds us with safety.

Do you feel unsafe, unstable, worried today? Do you long for a place of security and refuge from the troubles of life? Run into the Safe House. Run to Jehovah Shammah. He is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble (Psalm 9:9).

You were made for Home.

TWEETABLE
You were made for home - thoughts from @DanettaKellar on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Danetta Kellar is a writer, blogger, and speaker. Her interesting life has taken her around the globe, where she has had the privilege to witness firsthand the transformation of women from all walks of life and culture as they exchange lies for the Truth found in Christ. 

Her writing flows out of this rich experience and her own continual search for treasures in life’s darkness. Connect with Danetta online through her blog, Riches Out of Darkness, and on Facebook, or Twitter.   

8 comments:

  1. Danetta, What a beautiful portrait of our Abba. I have never heard the name Jehovah Shammah. I have heard of many others. I gave thanks to God as I read this post. I often forget that I have a warm home with no leaks. Many in this world do not. Thank you for the reminder, and thank you for teaching me another name for our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Cherrilynn. This is my favorite name for God and it is a pleasure to share it with you.

      Delete
  2. Danetta: When I started thanking God for our earthly home, I turned a corner in my spiritual growth. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I also had not really heard of Jehovah Shammah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something deeply spiritual about our home, both earthly and heavenly. God is so good to give us tangible opportunities to better grasp His sheltering love for us. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your post today. When I woke up this morning, I felt overwhelmed. I'm trying to do the tasks that God has laid before me. Negative thoughts tempt me to believe that I can not accomplish them. Your message reminded me to tackle them one at a time and remember that God is my refuge. He is in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear your heart was encouraged by this. It is a tricky task to balance finding refuge in Him while also venturing out to do what He has put before us. One step at a time is the simple answer. God bless you!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post! I'll be linking to it on my blog Friday, 5/27.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and sharing, Susan! Blessings to you today.

      Delete