Sunday, April 17, 2016

Future or Past? Point of View Can Determine What Happens with Our Writing

My friends, I don’t feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead. I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done. Philippians 3:13-14

Publishing is a tough business.

It’s almost impossible to write anything for public consumption without feeling like you’re throwing your heart into the lion’s den. And I don’t know about you, but I give these negative comments a lot more credibility than the positive ones. The good ones I tend to disregard with the thought that the person commenting was, “just being nice.”

With the mind-set of living on past rejections it’s possible to shrivel up and die, at least as a writer. Feeding ourselves on what’s gone before forces us to a standstill.

And it comes with an entire travel trailer full of baggage.

It’s easy to become overwhelmed with doubt, insecurity and an almost overwhelming urge to give up. Instead, draw a line in the sand. Commit today, RIGHT NOW, to begin to live in the future, on the promises God has given you.

If you’re writing now, you know the promise I’m talking about. You’ve heard that still, small voice call your name. You’ve gotten that confirmation you’ve asked for. Now it’s time to move forward, believing God truly is big enough to make it happen. He doesn’t call us out, fully formed and ready. He calls us out when we’re weak—ready for Him to equip us.

TWEETABLES

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Edie. It's been a trying launch month, discouraged by a family member remarking how she hoped I'd make money on this one and how disappointed everyone was that I didn't get a 'real' job and actually work. I cried for two days prior to my first book launch event. And my book is about developing patience for the prize, too! I live what I write. This Philippians verse is one I will include in the study guide. I also know the feeling of thinking my five star reviews are just people being nice rather than the 'honest' reviews we crave. Thought I was the only one. I do appreciate your posts every day. Look for them each morning, though I rarely comment. Blessings, milady, as you bless so many others.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I will pray for you. Please contact me at godsfruit@juno.com I wanted to find your book but don't have the name. I also tried to find you through blogger. Remember, Jesus' family was not fond of his work at first. You are in good company.

      Delete
  2. Edie, You always have a word for me, whether it is social media training, grammar or writing encouragement. Thank you. The portion that resonated with me,"He doesn’t call us out, fully formed and ready. He calls us out when we’re weak—ready for Him to equip us."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried to give up writing. I compare the period of my life to having an arm amputated. When you've received a call to do something, you can run and hide. But the belly of the whale is a dark place and you can't remain for long. Part of maturing as a writer is knowing that you no longer do it for money. You do it because you have to. Thanks for the inspiratation, Edie.

    ReplyDelete