Monday, March 21, 2016

Step-by-Step Instructions For Adding Text to Images

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson


Making Memes: Step-by-step instructions for adding text to images.
We are becoming more and more visual as a society. Because of that, images are far and away, the most shared things on social media. 

Share an update on Facebook without an accompanying image and we run the risk of having it overlooked or just ignored.

The images with embedded text are called MEMES (rhymes with seems). When they’re done well, they are an amazing way to convey a message and connect with your audience.

And they’re much easier to do than you may imagine.

There are several tools I use regularly. They are my favorites, but they’re not the only ones out there. I’ll show you how to use the ones I prefer, but I’ll also include links to the other ones.
Assemble What You Need
To make a meme, you’ll three things:

Find Your Image
Many of my memes are made with pictures I take myself. But you can use other images. The one place I recommend for exception images is www.Pixabay.com. All the images are Creative Commons License 0 (CC0). Here’s a blog post that shares The Basics of Images &Creative Commons Licenses.

Decide What to Say
Frequently I use quotes, but you can also use Scripture or even lists. The things you want to avoid are excerpts from songs and poetry because of possible copyright infringement.

Put it All Together
My favorite site for assembling my memes is www.picmonkey.com. This site has a lot of power, but the learning curve is tiny. In other words, it’s great for people like me who are not knowledgeable about working with images.

Watch Me Do It Step-by-step
Here is how I made the featured image at the top of this post. 




Additional Resources:
Some people prefer www.Canva.com to work with images. And for finding pictures, www.pexels.com is another good option. 

I hope this screencast has been helpful. I'd love to know what you've found to make working with images easier. Share your tips and questions in the comments section below.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES
Step-by-step Instructions for Adding Text to Images - @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Easy instructions for Making Memes from #SocialMedia expert @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)


30 comments:

  1. Thanks, Edie. This is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most time consuming part for me in this process is finding pictures that have ample space for lettering. I realize text boxes can be used when there's not, but I always try to find (or take) photos to allow for the white space when I can. Great post, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, that's so true! Good thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I missed your class at FCWC, so this is a welcomed blog. I use picmonkey.com for my daily Hope Hooks, but haven't mastered the memes. I can't wait to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharron, I think you're going to fall in love with making memes! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Wow - thank you Edie! I'm just in the process of pulling together images and your instructions are super clear and sooo appreciated! I do have a question that was referenced above - and that is making space for text when there isn't any. I don't see anything on picmonkey to create a white space. Could you use the fade feature for that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, great question! I waffled about including that. Here's how to do it:
      go to OVERLAYS (the Butterfly Icon) and insert one of the geometric shapes (or any shape you choose). Then use the FADE option to make it blend with the background, but still give you enough of a solid background to write on.

      I used that technique on the featured image in the blog post: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com/2016/03/8-tips-to-make-scripture-come-alive-in.html. The only difference in my instructions is that I chose not to fade the box into the background.

      I hope this helps! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Oh, and you can change the color of the overlay, just like you change the font colors.

      Delete
  5. Edie, thank you for this excellent post! I have two questions:

    1) Do you add a copyright notice on your memes?

    2) Do you have a post in which you explain how you make these instructional videos?


    Thanks and Blessings,

    MaryAnn
    _________________________
    MaryAnn Diorio, PhD, MFA
    Truth through Fiction ®
    www.maryanndiorio.com
    The Madonna of Pisano
    Surrender to Love
    A Christmas Homecoming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryAnn, great questions! I do add a copyright to the memes I make with images I took. I don't bother with the others. And second, no. I never considered making a screencast about making screencasts. That's a GREAT idea! I think I'll use it for my next one. Thanks so much! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Edie. I look forward to learning how to make screencasts (didn't know the correct term.:))

      One other question, I signed up for PicMonkey but cannot locate a place to save my memes. Are they saved only on one's computer, or does PicMonkey offer a place to save files?

      Thanks again!

      MaryAnn

      Delete
  6. I like making memes. Like others, some pictures are tricky to use because there isn't a lot of space for words. The thing I try to watch is making sure my text stands out and is easy to read. I've found a couple favorite fonts on PicMonkey that are more bold and easy to read. One thing I have learned is that if you use a lot o script-y cursive writing, they are harder to read. When I use those, I try to make sure there is good space so the words are easier to read.

    I've been trying to use one meme in each of my blog posts, and then post that meme to other social media later (Instagram and Facebook).

    Great post, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, great suggestions! thank you so much for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Thank you Edie - I looked at the example you gave me and everything is finally clicking - and I like that I can either fade a spot on the picture for text, or create a block to write on! It's going to take me awhile to get up and running with my memes because I'm on deadline, but I'm looking forward to working on these!! Thanks for all the good info!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this. So good to have this information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, thank you for dropping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Edie. Most helpful! Pinned & shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for sharing! Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Thanks Edie. As someone who fumbles with graphics, you have done a fantastic job explaining the steps. I have played around with this before but never achieving good results. Going back at it. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, I'm so glad this has made things clearer. Sometimes it's so helpful to just watch someone do it and explain their thought processes. Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. You make this so easy to understand, Edie. Maybe it's time for me to even try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have out done yourself again. Thanks Edie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Edie! I've learned to enjoy doing this now and then as well! I'd love to see a post about easy ways to make over your images for other purposes, like for a fantasy newsletter. I've read ones on the web (using technology like PicMonkey) and also professional software but it would be fun to jazz up images a bit for my kids blogs coming out soon, but using more simple techniques than the pros. Thanks for your great information and wonderful heart in keeping us relevant and interesting for our readers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your meme class at the novel retreat! Making memes is fun--and really easy too.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We did it! Happy dance! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a God send. I have been blogging for a little over one year. I have been impressed by the graphic design of my fellow bloggers but ignorant to their tips. Thank you so much. I can blog with a better presentation.

    ReplyDelete