Sunday, October 4, 2015

Watch Your Language

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24

As a writer, I love words. In fiction, I love finding just the right words for my character to use when they speak to each other.

But one thing I discovered.

I wasn't as careful when I chose the words I said to myself. I realized that I said things to myself that I wouldn’t allow even the most evil character use. And that negative self-talk was having a huge negative affect on me. Unfortunately, I was beginning to believe the things I said to myself, and it was pulling me under.

Maybe you do the same thing.

“I’m so stupid.”
“I should just quit, I’ll never amount to anything.”
“I’m ugly.”
“I don’t know why anyone would want to hang out with me.”
“I can’t do anything right.”

Statistics tell us that when we speak negative things to someone close to us, it takes anywhere from eight to sixteen positive things to outweigh one negative remark. This holds true when we talk to ourselves.

The truth is, each of us is unique and precious to God.

He paid the ultimate price to bring us back to Him. How can we denigrate what God esteems? Think about how different your outlook might be if you spoke respectfully to yourself?

Join me today as I make the decision to watch my language

TWEETABLE

6 comments:

  1. Amen. I have said all the above and more to myself. My biological father told me the same. My Heavenly Father is the one who defines me now. Righteous, forgiven, worthy, precious, royalty and a Child of the One true King. Thank you for this. I needed it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way God works by speaking to different people about the same topic at the same time. My blog post today is about seasoned conversation. I often hear sermons by different pastors on TV who are teaching on the same topics. It's one way the Lord gets through to me by hearing something over and over. I finally get it that hey I need to really listen to this thanks for the reminder about self talk. It is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said all of those things to myself at one time, and most of them more than once. They come out of my mouth when I'm angry or frustrated. I know we are all precious to God and none of these self-debasing words are true. However, I also know I sometimes slip back into my old ways before I can catch myself. We all do. It's human nature. So I now make sure that no more than an hour passes before I focus on the Truth that I'm a child of God and He doesn't make junk. Thanks for sharing Edie. The world's a better place because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie. I really needed to see that in print. Sometimes thoughts don’t sound as bad as seeing the written word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A needed reminder, Edie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete