Sunday, June 28, 2015

We’re Lamenting the Wrong Things & Asking the Wrong Questions

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

My eyes shed streams of tears, because people do not keep your law. Psalm 119:136

Everywhere I turn I see believers crying out against recent legislature. And while I do have personal opinions about events of these days—what I’m truly mourning is the fact that we’re no longer looking to God for morality, but to man.

I don’t believe it’s possible to legislate morality.

Don’t misunderstand me, we need to have laws and penalties for lawbreakers. But those fall under the headings of consequences and deterrents.

Each of us carries a foundational idea of right and wrong. It’s something that God has instilled within us.

You see, our conscience comes from God. It was created within us when we were formed in the womb. If we were just products of Darwin’s theory, then our conscience would be weighted with a foundation of kill or be killed—survival of the fittest. Instead, we have a different foundation.

Don’t believe me? Take a look at our laws. Take a look at our day-to-day interactions. We don’t reward bullies and those who look out only for themselves. Our belief system reflects something more than that. It reflects God.

We can stifle our conscience by ignoring it, and trying to re-educate it. But it’s still there, and when we once again turn our ear to that pure voice, it will spring back to life.

In these days, we each need to turn back—to look to God to dictate what is right and what is wrong. First as individuals, then as a country. When we make God our priority, then the other things will fall into place. We’ll interact with one another in love.

No, I’m not suggesting some type of hippy nirvana filled with a false sense of anything goes. Or that God-is-Love, watered down message.

I mean real love.

The hard kind.

The kind that calls for
  • Loving our enemies.
  • Forgiving those who wrong us.
  • Holding one another accountable.
  • Turning the other cheek.
  • Standing up for what is right, whether it’s the law or not.

When we look to God for the answers, we’ll find unity.

Not uniformity, never that. God created each of us unique and special. But He gave us traits in common—with Him—and with each other.

So today, I’m praying for our country. And I’m not praying small. I’m not focusing on individual sins. I’m first praying about my own short comings and asking for forgiveness and a renewed sense of right and wrong. I want God to clean out the junk and put me back on a track to be more like Him. Then I’m asking God to reclaim this country as His—with His definition of right and wrong.

Can one person make a difference?

Maybe not at first.

But for a difference to be made, we must all begin alone, in a one-on-one conversation with God. Then, when all those individuals come together and return to God, absolutely.

Will you join me?

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. II Chronicles 7:14

13 comments:

  1. Powerful post, Edie, I join you in prayer. I have been praying for our country. I have been praying for myself and my brothers and sisters to stand firm in Gods word. I pray that we would speak the truth in love and not point fingers at others. May we be like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Edie, that will preach any day of the week. Thanks for the great reminders of who we are in Christ and our role as ambassadors for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful post. As for the "recent legislature," I believe the result IS God's reclaiming of our country, having us love all of our brothers and sisters as we love Him and as Jesus asked us to do. I appreciate your prayerful words and respect the soul-searching behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true and a breath of fresh air, Edie. Facebook has been so full of judgment. You are right, the love Jesus calls us to is hard and it's only through His grace that we can begin to approach it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, 100%. Why do we lament a bunch of mostly unsaved law makers and/or judges making bad laws and decisions. I do believe Christians must become much more involved in the life of their communities, especially the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreeing with you in prayer, Edie. The hard kind of love is what we're to offer because He first loved us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edie: I will join you in prayer for our fallen state and for our nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 2 Tim. 2:1-4 NASB This is the responsibility of all believers. This is where our focus needs to be. We pray, and God does awesome things. We don't pray, our enemy can take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edie, I am with you. I saw the teens in my Sunday School come in with a vision to reach others for Jesus because of all they .have seen in the media these past few days.. God is working! I want to be part of His moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so encouraging to hear, Gail! Thank you for sharing the change this is bringing about in the next generation. God is using this for good!

      Delete
  10. Amen, Edie! I especially love your point that the change needs to start with ourselves, just as the trouble has largely come because we as Christians have not focused on our sanctification and becoming truly like Christ. Only when we start really living out our faith with the courage to stand out and be different will we be able to change our world through the love and power of Christ.

    ReplyDelete