Monday, May 18, 2015

Top Blogging Mistakes Made by Authors Online

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Blogging is a great way to connect with our online audience. And while  there are a lot more people out there doing it well, I still see some common mistakes. These things affect a blog, making readers click away before they finish a post and even unsubscribe altogether. 

Today I’m going to share the top blogging mistakes I see from authors.

Blogging Mistakes
Don't ignore your audience.
  • Lack of Interaction. When someone takes the time and effort to comment on your blog post, it’s only polite to answer them. Sure there are days when we get busy and really can’t reply, but if you’re known for taking time to answer, those times will be forgiven. After all, look how patient you all are with me!
  • Inconsistent Posting. I know I’ve said this at least one hundred times, but it bears repeating. If you expect readers to visit your blog consistently, they have the right to expect you to blog consistently.
Don't be a weakling when it comes to blog titles.
  • Weak Blog Post Titles. I know we’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover—or its title. But we all do it. Without compelling titles, blog posts go unread and readers unsubscribe.
  • Little or No Formatting. Reading online takes more effort than reading actual ink on paper. Bloggers can overcome that with proper formatting. This includes using a sans-serif font, block formatting, bullet points, and bold subheadings. All these make the page easier to read.
  • Too Many Grammatical Errors. I know, I really shouldn’t be the one throwing stones here. You all know I’ve allowed misspelled words, omitted words and grammatical errors into my posts. But  I’m referring to numerous errors in almost every single post.
  • Lack of Focus. Variation isn’t bad, but don’t go overboard. A blog without a focus is a blog without an audience.
  • Posts that are too Long. People today are way more willing to spend time rather than money. Regularly posting things that are more than 500 - 600 words long will cost you readers.
  • No Images with Blog Posts. Just like the formatting issue, images help break up the text and provide for easier reading. They also give visual clues to the content.

These are the main mistakes I see consistently. But I'd love to know what you see that bugs you the most. Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie 

Tweetables

3 comments:

  1. Edie,

    Thanks for the blogging tips. It's so easy to forget some of these things when pressed for time, that we all need to be reminded.

    I'd like to point out one thing that is usually--but not always--true and that's the length of a blog post.

    For the most part, shorter is better.

    But for those with more technical blogs, readers are generally willing to read a post if it tells them what they want to know. I've read posts that approach 2,000 words because I was interested in what the blogger had to say.

    Most often, those types of posts are how-to posts. I've been reading a series of posts on improving SEO, for example, and they have not been short. But I've been interested enough to follow them to the end. Several times.

    So the best thing for a blogger to do is to know his or her audience first, then write for that audience. Don't overwhelm them with information, but don't cut them short, either. I know. It's a tough call. I sure don't get it right all the time. But it is worth discovering what readers want and providing it.

    Thanks again for the reminders!

    Best wishes,

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Edie, I have reduced the words in my blogs considerably. It was so wonderful meeting you at the conference. What a life changing event.

    ReplyDelete