Sunday, March 29, 2015

Am I Carrying Baggage or Luggage?

For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Matthew 11:30
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

I don’t know about you, but I have trouble forgiving myself. For some reason I expect a level of perfection from myself that I would never expect from someone else.

Because of this, I also struggle to accept God’s forgiveness.

Baggage gets heavy and holds us back.
Somewhere deep inside is the fear that God has finally reached the limit of His patience with me and with my constant sin and shortcomings. Just writing this makes me shake my head because it’s so far from the truth. But I’m sad to say it’s something I struggle with.

The result of this lack of forgiveness is that I carry a lot of baggage that I don’t need to. I’m weighed down with past sins that God has long since forgiven. I also carry the baggage of unconfessed sin because I’m fearful of returning to God over and over again asking forgiveness for the same thing.

At times, I add the baggage of my own refusal to forgive someone else. I hold on to the way they’ve hurt me and try to make it into some kind of armor against getting hurt again. But that’s not what it is. Unforgiveness is just more weight to carry.

That kind of weight can weigh a person down.

Baggage is something I need to get rid of. I need to drop it at the feet of Jesus and leave it there.

Luggage equips us for our travels.
Luggage, on the other hand, is something that equips us for our travels. My luggage consists of the things that God has blessed me with. It also includes the lessons I’ve learned through the struggles and the triumphs of walking with God.
  • It’s the Bible verses I’ve memorized.
  • The praise songs that run through my mind.
  • The stories I’ve heard about God’s faithfulness. 

Everyone needs some luggage to be equipped for the journey has God in store for us. The trick is to get rid of the baggage.

So today I ask you what I asked myself. Are you carrying baggage or luggage on your personal journey? 

10 comments:

  1. I love this. Never looked at it that way. I am carrying both unfortunately. I try to leave my baggage at the feet of Jesus only to find I forgot to leave a piece or did not realize it was still there hiding in the luggage. We serve a mighty God who is awesome to show up the baggage and exchange it for luggage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherrilynn, I'm the same way. Thanks for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Awesome post, Edie. I think we'd all have to confess to having both. We can't go through life without baggage. The secret is knowing the difference and when to toss the baggage and pick up the luggage. Thanks for this. I'm sharing it on Facebook!

    Have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so good. I understand the issue of carrying baggage around. I never looked at "the things God has blessed me with" as luggage. This is a refreshing break-through for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a breath-through for me too. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I'm happy to say I carry luggage. I remember a time long ago when a "friend" continually talked about my past, trying to drudge up old bad memories of things I'd done. I turned to him and said, "When I accepted Christ, He made me brand new. If He can forgive me, I can forgive me. Now move on." Each day is a new opportunity to drop the baggage of yesterday and leave it behind. Thanks for this post and for reminding me of this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, that's so encouraging! Thank you for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post, Edie. It's an ongoing process but with God's help, I've tried releasing my baggage as soon as I feel the weight hit my shoulders. It's then I realize the weight should instead be laying before His feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, great analogy! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete