Thursday, January 22, 2015

So Wrong Yet So Right

Edie here. Today I'm really excited to share a post with you from the Director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, Alton Ganksy. Many of you know him for his novels and his writing classes. Today I want to introduce you to the non-fiction hat he wears with such style and authority.

His newest book, 30 Events that Shaped the Church, is destined to become a Christian classic.


***

So Wrong Yet So Right
by Alton Gansky @AltonGansky

Arthur C. Clarke died on March 19, 2008. News of his death prompted me to pull out my old, well-worn mass paperback edition of his 1973 Rendezvous with Rama. I hadn’t read the sci-fi novel in decades, maybe longer, still the story and images he painted remain with me. In a recent interview I fielded the question, “What is your favorite book?” It surprised me a little when Clarke’s Rama sprang to mind. I reread the book and loved it as much as I did the first time around.
Here’s the thing. When, as a strapping young man, I first read the book, writing was a nebulous dream, floating far in the future. I knew nothing of the craft or the business. All I knew was that words and story rang my bell. Clarke’s Rama rang it louder than just about any other novel. Since I hadn’t learned the “rules” of writing, I didn’t know better but to enjoy the journey.

Now I read with a critical eye. That’s the problem with being a professional writer—it ruins a man’s reading. Right off the bat, I noticed that Clarke does a lot of telling instead of showing. I mean a lot. Of course, this is a Bozo-no-no. He writes about 4000 words before the first word of dialog is penned. Twenty or so dialog words later, he immerses us in long, telling-narrations again.

He also fails to start with action. Those of us who teach at writers conferences harp on the idea that a story should start quickly often in the middle of a scene. That’s what we say when we’re teaching. Often we ignore our own advice. Editors at these conferences make statements like, “If you haven’t won me in the first five pages, then you won’t win me at all.”

So new writers learn the rules and try to follow them, certain that a good story must conform to the mold. When trying to break into the biz, it’s a wise decision.

Still, there’s the problem of those annoying writers like Clarke (and I’m sure you can name a half dozen more) who don’t follow the rules and still manage to crank out great, memorable, enduring stories. As I read through Rendezvous with Rama I think of the guidelines, rules, suggestions, and advice given by the “How-To” books, the seminars, and workshops. All of them have something valid to offer and good advice heeded is still good advice. But—

Is it possible for the rules to get in the way? Have we as an industry reduced art and craft to a set of quantifiable techniques? “This is the way the professionals do it, every other way is wrong.”

Occasionally, a publisher hires me to rewrite the work of an inexperienced writer. In those cases, I set my feet firmly on the rules and wade in with my machete cutting this out, repositioning that scene elsewhere, amputating adverbs, severing unneeded prepositions, inserting dialog, and revving up the action in the first chapter. So far it’s worked out to the satisfaction of publisher and author. But then there’s that pesky Clarke guy who does it his own way and it works so well. Few things are more annoying than watching someone do it wrong and have it turn out so right.

Clarke has never needed coaching. Maybe an editor worked overtime on his prose. I don’t know, but I do know that his technique is solid, powerful, and useful.
Clarke—he of the long narration—reminds me that a good story well told is a good story, period.

TWEETABLES


Alton Gansky is the author novels and nonfiction books. He is also the host of Writer’s Talk, an interview program. He also directs the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference held each year North Carolina. His latest book is 30 Events that Shaped the Church (Baker Books). www.altongansky.com

Don't miss his newest book:
30 Events that Shaped the Church 

13 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Glad you found some encouragement in it.

      Delete
  2. As I study more about the craft of writing, I find myself being more critical of published works. A couple of years ago, I reread "The Hobbit." I was surprised at how often JRR Tolkien used the exclamation point.

    For years, I've enjoyed reading Mary Higgins Clark and most all her books shoot to the top of the NYT best seller list. However, in at least one of her books she used a lot of adverbs to describe a character's emotions rather than showing them.

    Still, for both of these writers, their method worked. However, I try to stick with the "show don't tell" motto. In fact, I feel I'm often guilty of using too much dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There appears to be a different philosophy in Christian publishing. In many ways, writing in the that market has surpassed the typical secular book. It is not uncommon to see the things you mention in the general market. The goal, I think, is write the best we can no matter what others do--even if that means bending a "rule" now and again. Thanks for the comment, Joan.

      Delete
  3. I've read a few books written by a certain well-known, very popular author and noticed she head-hopped a lot. Most readers don't seem to notice, or care, about rules being broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Head hopping" used to be quite acceptable but it's viewed as a source of confusion these days. You're right, most readers won't notice but they may find something confusing in the book they can't identify. I still think a close point of view is the way to go.

      Delete
  4. All of a sudden I heard Kenny Rogers in my head: "Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." The same is true of writing. We need to know when to keep the rules and when to break the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, now I'll have that song on my mind all day. :-) You're observation is spot on.

      Delete
  5. Before, when I was just an English teacher ground in grammar and punctuation rules, reading was such a pleasure. Now I find that "knowing" more of the rules for writing (and getting published) actually takes away from the pleasure of reading and enjoying a good book especially by an author I already love. I hate that. Perhaps the rules make it easier for agents and publishers to do their jobs. Perhaps the rules are necessary to break into the traditional world of writing. Perhaps some rules help new writers learn how to tell a story. For me as a reader, story still tops rules any day. For me as a writer, I try to follow the rules without hindering the story. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvia. Professional writers often bemoan the "ruined my read" experience. We tend to analyze more than read. If we're reading a subpar book, we notice all the areas; if we're reading some outstanding work, we start to make mental notes to use in our own writing. I hear chef's have the same problem with meals.

      Delete
  6. I'm reminded of Steve James' craft book, Story Trumps Structure. A few years ago, I heard him teach these concepts but then he titled it Story Trumps Rules.
    What I've learned along the way is it's OK to break the rules but know which rule you're breaking and why you're breaking it. Break the rule if it gets in the way of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry, Steven James has a good take on all this. Of course, what he means is that the writers should love story over conformity. Fiction writers break usage "rules" all the time, but they do it intelligently, with reason, and because a particular scene requires it. The story is what matters most.

      Delete
  7. Excellent article, Alton! Thank you for writing it. Blessings to you today and always, Dianna

    ReplyDelete