Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Balance Between Sharing Life and Experiencing Its Sweetness—A Social Media Image

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

There's a lot of emphasis on capturing moments. We grab them through images and video on cell phones and mobile devices. We share them on social media. And while I think it's good to connect with others through things that touch our hearts, it can be overdone. 

"That it never comes again is what makes life so sweet." Emily Dickinson
It's easy to get so carried away with sharing that the experience of the moment is lost. And with that we lose the sweetness that is life.

No mistake, I see the irony here. I'm sharing an image to use on social media and whining about too much sharing. When I took this image, I was totally present in the moment. One of my closest friends, Mary Denman, and I had gone out that day to enjoy the snow and take photographs. 

We didn't share anything on social media. We just spent time together, enjoying the beauty of a rare South Carolina snow.
How do you draw the line between sharing life and experiencing its sweetness?

Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

I also invite you to use this image any way you like online. Post it to your blog, share it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, anywhere you'd like. All I ask is that you keep it intact, with my website watermark visible.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,


4 comments:

  1. You never know when something will touch someone. I guess you can overdo it, but I love to see these things. :) Especially when it's from someone I know well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, I totally agree. I love seeing life through the eyes of those I care about! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I know just what you mean with this, Edie! Time with family without electronics is a planned thing in my house. We limit the connectivity during family times because otherwise we just plain miss being with each other. The other thing is excursions to beautiful nature spots like the North Shore. That has a way of rejuvenating us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words. I just stopped a stream of posts on my blog b/c I realized I was trivializing an important experience by "blogging as I go" and I also did NOT take a picture of something that others thought I should have. I couldn't put into words why I didn't and today, after reading your post, I know why. Somehow it was not a moment to be "tweeted" or Facebooked.

    ReplyDelete