Sunday, September 21, 2014

Weekend Worship—Do You Struggle with a Wait Problem?

The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:25

I’m not a very patient person.

There, I’ve said it. I hate to wait for something—especially if it’s something important to me.

And the world where we live tries to tell us that we don’t need patience. Everywhere we turn we’re promised instant answers, instant success, instant happiness. If we listen to the world, fulfillment comes more from a single, instant choice, than anything else.

Unfortunately, with all these instant answers, come fleeting results. As quickly as something comes, it goes. Happiness is momentary, security doesn’t last, and fame is only available in fifteen-minute increments.

God on the other hand, promises us something different.

He promises us good things when we wait. He understands that lasting results take longer than an instant. He also knows that as we grow and mature, our wants and needs will also grow and mature.

When I first started on my writing journey, my goal was to have a book published. Which book was less important than just the fact of having a book. To me, publishing a book signified a certain prominence.

But through the process of waiting for that first book (13 years of waiting—to be exact) God taught me that it did matter which book I published. He used that time of waiting to refine me and grow me up into the writer who could actually write the book He had for me and write it well.

We think of waiting as this thing we must to do to reach our goals and dreams. Truthfully they're being accomplished AS WE WAIT. 


Today I challenge you to look at waiting as an active process. Ask for new eyes to see what’s really happening around and through you. Then rejoice in the journey, as God uses waiting to bring your dreams to fruition.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for your encouraging words today. Sometimes I look at others and don't understand that they struggled just like me. It is easy to try to take back control of my schedule instead of waiting on God for His timing and plan. Thanks for sharing that your first book took years. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I think we all do that! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. There is a Scripture I pray everyday: ...that I will be strengthened with all his glorious power so I will have all the endurance and patience I need. (Col. 1:11 NLT). Because I need His patience everyday. Thanks for this reminder that all things are in His hands and His timing is perfect. Like you, Edie, I worked several years to get my first book published. Years of learning and working on craft so that the book was the one He wanted published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry, love that! Thanks so much for sharing - Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. This is clearly a theme God's trying to get across to me today. Between this post, a devotion I just read, and today's sermon on Job, waiting while God is working is a constant message here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs to hear it. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, don't you just love the way God orchestrates unrelated things to get His message across? Thanks for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Ellen definitely hit on something I have discovered over the years. I call it a "Harmony of the Spirit" Having spent most of my life traveling and going to different churches and meeting many people, I found that often the Lord would give me peace and a since of direction in what I was doing. The last thing I listened to on Christian Radio, my last Bible reading, sermon or conversation would pick up in my new situation right where the last thing had ended or left off. I discovered that in those situations God is usually trying to show me something, I just need to pay attention and be open to receive it. He is still working in our lives if we open our eyes and ears to see and hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, Good thoughts! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete