Sunday, April 27, 2014

Weekend Worship - How Many Do You Feed?

by Alycia Morales

The lips of the righteous feed many… Proverbs 10:21a

One of my favorite Bible stories is the one where Jesus feeds the multitude. With five loaves and two fish. It blows my mind that by simply asking God’s blessing and breaking bread, thousands ate until they were full. And then there were leftovers!

These past couple of days, I’ve been unable to discern if I’ve been hungry enough to eat or not. I haven’t heard from God that I should fast for three days. I haven’t been so sick I couldn’t eat. But I haven’t had much of an appetite, either. Instead, I’ve had tightness in my chest, a pit in my stomach, and difficulty taking a deep breath. I could blame it on allergies. After all, the pollen is pretty thick here. But I don’t think that’s the cause either.

No, I believe I’ve been experiencing that deep thirst for Jesus that is mentioned in Matthew 5. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled. I want to live my life in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. I want to find that righteousness in every area, whether it be in my role as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, servant, or professional.

As a writer, my words may reach one person or many. My prayer is for the blessing of God to be on my prose like it was on the meal that Jesus shared with so many. I want my words to feed thousands. I want what I write to bring life to the hearts and spirits of many, encouraging them to pursue their call and use their gifts and talents for God’s glory. I want my readers to find fulfillment in their relationship with Jesus as a result of the words He’s given me to share with them.

Tell me, as a writer, what do you hope to accomplish with your words? How many do you want to feed?

Alycia Morales is a freelance writer and editor who enjoys encouraging others to pursue their God-given dreams and use their talents. She is Senior Editor of Inspire a Fire, a website dedicated to that mission. Along with Andrea Merrell, she also shares about writing and editing on their new blog, The Write Editing. When she isn’t busy writing and editing, she loves hanging with her family, drinking decaf coffee or sweet tea, and eating chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Alycia. I never thought about writing as feeding people. What a beautiful perspective! As a writer, I want to draw multitudes to Jesus and strengthen the sick and weak. I'm going to pray over my writing with this new viewpoint, thanks to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is a great post Alycia. I love that God can use my words in ways I don't expect. That all that I'm going through can bring joy and encouragement to others. I hadn't thought about praying to feed the multitudes. What a great way to pray! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete