by Edie Melson
I hope by now everyone knows the importance of backing up your work. If you’ve spent any time at all working on a computer you know all too well that gut-wrenching feeling when you’ve lost something you’ve written.
Not a pleasant thing.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but the same thing can happen with your blog. It doesn’t matter where it’s hosted, things can go wrong. And since backing up your blog is so simple, there’s really NOT an excuse not to do it.
So today I’m going to share how—and why—to backup your blog.
Backup your Blogger Blog
1. Log into your Blogger dashboard and go to the blog you want to backup.
2. Click SETTINGS.
3. Under SETTINGS. Click OTHER. (see screenshot #1 below)
4. At the top of the page you’ll see BLOG TOOLS. Click EXPORT BLOG. (see screenshot #2 below)
5. I save my XML file of my blog in my Dropbox.
You can also backup your Blogger template—and I recommend you do if you have any kind of customization on it. Here’s how:
1. On the dashboard of your site, click TEMPLATE. (see screenshot #3 below)
2. Now click, DOWNLOAD FULL TEMPLATE. I save this file on my Dropbox as well. (see screenshot #4 below)
Backup Your WordPress.com Blog
1. Log into WordPress.com.
2. Click MY BLOGS.
3. Click DASHBOARD of the blog you want to backup.
4. Look for TOOLS and hover your cursor over it. A drop-down menu will appear. Click EXPORT. (screenshots #5 and #6 below)
5. Again, I save my blog backup in my Dropbox.
Backup Your WordPress.org (self-hosted) Blog
1. Log into your WordPress dashboard.
2. Go to TOOLS, then EXPORT.
3. Here you’ll have several choices. You can export all your content at once (posts AND pages) or you can choose to export them separately.
4. Once again, I would save these to my Dropbox.
As you can see. backing up your blog—no matter what kind you have—is easy to do. I’d love to know if posts like this one help and what other things you’d like to see me tackle.
Don’t forget to join the conversation!
How and why to back up your blog. . . it's easier than you think - via Social Media Mentor @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)