Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weekend Worship—What Am I Really Afraid Of?

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, 
turning people away from the snares of death. Proverbs 14:27

Image credit: stuartphoto / 123RF Stock Photo
We writers are a fearful lot.

We let so many things stand between us and the words we’re called to share.
  • The opinions of others.
  • Being ridiculed.
  • Falling short.
  • Failing.
  • Success.

And writers don’t have a monopoly on fear. We all struggle against this deadly enemy. No, I didn’t misspeak. Fear is deadly. It strangles all hope, killing our dreams with a dreaded whisper of what if.

But what if fear isn’t always a death sentence for our dreams. What if the right kind of fears could propel us into fulfilling our callings?

I’d like to propose that we’re afraid of the wrong things.
  • Instead of fearing the opinions of others, we feared the opinion of God
  • Instead of fearing ridicule, we feared NOT standing for something that matter.
  • Instead of fearing falling short, we feared not making an effort.
  • Instead of failing, we feared immobility.
  • Instead of fearing success, we feared putting the emphasis on the wrong things.

Today I’m starting new, redirecting the fear I feel in the right direction. How about you? What fear do you need to redirect to once again get back in the middle of the path God has for you?

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the timely message on fear, Edie. I needed to read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I write these posts because I need to read them. Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Great perspective to give us food for thought. A wonderful way to redirect fear into something positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timely messsage, Edie. I'm reading "The Courage to Write" by Ralph Keyes. It's a general market book, but when I pair it with the perspective you share here, I'm challenged to be a more faith-filled writer.

      Delete
    2. Barbara, thank you! Beth, I'm going to look up that book! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. What a great perspective to take on writing and on life itself. Thanks for this, Edie. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, thanks for the encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I think for me, the fear of not being good enough as a writer needs to change. If I must have a fear, it needs to be a fear of NOT doing what God has called me to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm working to change that as well! Blessings, E

      Delete