by Edie Melson
It happens to us all. It’s the night before a blog post is due and we have no idea what to write about. It seems like all our creative juices have run dry.
Do we just bail and skip that post, or is there something constructive that can bail us out? Don’t panic. There are some specific things you can do and places you can look to find, not just something to fill in with, but something truly creative to blog about.
- First, look no farther than your last blog post, or more specifically, the comments your last post brought out. Your subscribers and readers are your best source of inspiration. Their questions and comments can spur you on to ideas you’d never consider otherwise.
- Second, take a look at the blogs you follow. What are some of the questions you’ve asked your favorite bloggers? Just because you don’t know the answer, doesn’t mean you can’t right about it. Trust me, the best way to learn something is by researching it well enough that you can write about it.
- Third, investigate Facebook and Twitter. Do you see any trends, or notice a subject everyone is talking about? There’s a blog post in there!
- Fourth, have you recently solved a problem that has to do with your blog’s topic? Don’t be stingy, share your secret with the rest of us. If you had an issue or challenge with something, chances are you aren’t the only one.
- Fifth, notice what day it is. Not just the day of the week, but the month. Did you know that today, February 25, is Chocolate Covered Peanuts day? Also, in the same vein, what season is it? Right now it’s winter, but spring is just around the corner.
- Sixth, still at a loss for words? Post a picture or a video or even a cartoon instead. (Just make sure you’re not violating any copyright laws)
- Seventh, post a question or a rant about something that truly irritates you. Just remember to keep it relevant and don’t let it slip into any hint of a personal attack.
The point of your blog is to open up the lines of communication—to get the conversation going. So now it’s your turn, have you ever been at a loss for something to post? What was your solution?
Don’t forget to join the conversation!
If you're at a loss for words when it comes to ideas for blog posts @EdieMelson has 7 tips to help! (Click to Tweet)