Sunday, January 5, 2014

Weekend Worship—Definition

A man’s steps are established by the Lord,
and He takes pleasure in his way. Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed,
 because the Lord holds his hand. Psalm 37:23-24

I’ve long since given up making New Year’s resolutions. Instead, I use this time to allow God to redirect my steps onto the path He has for me. I’d like to take today to share how I go about that.

I began this process in 1996 when, at the urging of several godly friends, I began asking God for a verse to guide my steps during the coming year. He faithfully supplied that first verse and has done so every year since.

I’ve loved the practice of searching out His will, and it’s become a sweet time of fellowship as I listen for His voice. Then, in 2012, a new friend suggested I also ask Him to supply a single word for the coming year. (Thank you, Beth Vogt.) I did, and again the process added depth to my relationship with God.


This year I began the process, as usual, in early November. The verse you see above is the one God gave me. When I began searching God’s heart for the single word He had for me, it became a more involved process than in previous years.

At first I thought the word would be freedom. Because I had allowed myself to become chained to the expectations of others. But as I meditated on this, I realized God had more to say to me about the bondage I was experiencing. He showed me that I was actually allowing myself to be defined by what others thought I should be. He reminded me that He wanted to be the One who defined me.

It was a prospect that filled me with peace and freedom.

Today I invite you to join me. Ask God for a verse and for a word to illustrate your upcoming year. You’ll be blessed by the process and by His answer. If you already have your word and/or verse, share them in the comment section below.

7 comments:

  1. That's a cool idea. Except that for me I'd never figure out which verse or word God was pointing me to. So maybe I'll have to borrow yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this. Sit in His presence behind closed doors and ask. Then open the door, go out into the world and wait with expectation. When He speaks you will know it. You may hear it on the radio, you may see it on a blog post or you may find it in the inner recesses of your heart from memorized Scripture. Wait, my dear sister. It's there and He wants to give it to you and give it more abundantly.

      Delete
    2. Nissa, don't cheat yourself. God knows how to talk to you. Just take a chance, you might be surprised! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. My scripture verse: Eph 2:10 (NLT) For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago. Word "Masterpiece." It is a work done with extraordinary skill; esp: a supreme intellectual or artistic movement. I will turn 59 this year and see His handiwork as I become a poem in His hands - the movement of His touch making me new each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I love that! "I become a poem in His Hands." Thank you so much for sharing that! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. There were so many things I stressed over in 2013, so my scripture for 2014 is iPhilippians 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. My word for 2014: Fearlessness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I love that verse and your word! Thanks so much for sharing! Blessings, E

      Delete