Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Top 10 Things I Learned About being a Writer from Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer

by Edie Melson

I always struggle with blogging balance around the holidays. I want to join in the fun, but I get a little tired of all the non-writing posts I read everywhere. Today I want to share my version of a compromise—Top 10 Things I Learned About being a Writer From Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

I love all the Christmas specials that come around every year during the holidays, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer has always been one of my favorites. I identify with his lack of self-confidence, his heart for his friends and especially his gumption when Santa called on him to step up and guide the sleigh that night.

And it occurs to me that, as writers, there are a lot of valuable lessons in this holiday tale. 


Here are the TOP 10 lessons I’ve learned:

10. We’re all born with a special gift.

9. At some point we all feel like that special gift is a curse.

8. Hiding who we really are are brings out the bullies and naysayers.

7. We all need time to mature into our gift.

6. Trying to live up to the image of who others think we should be won’t bring anything but trouble and heartache.

5. True friends will see beyond our differences and embrace the essence of who we are.

4. We’re given that special gift for a reason and a purpose.

3. Running away from who we are doesn’t ever solve anything.

2. There will come a time when you have to decide to work within your gift, not around it.

And the best lesson of all . . .
1. Being who God meant you to be will bless others as much as you.

How about you? Care to share something you’ve learned from an unlikely source? Be sure to share your thoughts below in the comments section.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

Tweetables



20 comments:

  1. Amazing post, Edie. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, Edie! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Reba, Vonda and Ellen! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I love this, Edie! It's fun but carries an excellent message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, when these things occurred to me it totally blew my socks off! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. I have found that there is no one in the world that I can't learn something from. We are all gifted in one way or another and there is no one else exactly like me. Or you. Or someone else. We should embrace our uniqueness, share our enthusiasm, and enjoy our place in the lives of others. :-))) Thanks for the encouragement to examine who I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, you are so right - we can learn from anyone. I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. I've always loved it when the Grinch's heart grows 3 sizes after he can't ruffle the Who's. What a lesson for us to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, me too! Such great lessons in that Christmas classic, too. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Love this Edie! And it came at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda and Angie, thanks for stopping by, so glad you like it! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Geat list, Edie. I, too, am caught in the non-writing post blues. I feel like I should acknowledge the season, but stay true to my purpose...not an easy trick. You managed to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I appreciate the encouragement. Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Love Rudolph and love your post, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned a wonderful lesson from a woman who was poor, had a speech impediment but who was so kind and caring. I learned from her it's not what you look like or your position in life; it's what is in your heart and how you use the talents God gave you--that's what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I needed a smile today! ;) And this post!

    ReplyDelete