Monday, November 11, 2013

Social Media Monday—Find Your Social Media Easy Button

by Edie Melson 


As of this moment, there are 200+ social networking sites out there. If you do a search for the top sites, you’ll get listings of anywhere from 7 to 20.

And none of those numbers is manageable when it comes to building a viable online presence.

There is just no way anyone can stay actively involved on even as few as seven networks.

So how do we decide where to focus our attention to get the most bang for our buck?


In the past, I’ve taught writers to have a presence on both Facebook and Twitter. I’ve also added a third online component—blogging. These three platforms will get you the highest percentage of exposure to your audience.

And I advocate ONLY spending 30 minutes a day, five days a week, on social media. In addition to that, I suggest you set aside one to two hours to write weekly blog posts.

All of this still holds true.

But there’s another player in the game now, Pinterest. Authors find LOTS of valuable connections to their readers through Pinterest.

Does that mean you need to divide the pie even further?

I don’t believe it does. I think it’s important to find your social easy button, and spend the bulk of your time there.

For me, that’s blogging and twitter. Those are the two networks where I get the most interaction. How do I know they’re my sweet spots? Two ways:
  • I look at the numbers (12,000 + on Twitter and 30,000+ unique hits per month on my blog)
  • I notice what I enjoy the most. 

That’s it. There’s no complicated formula. Just look at where success comes easiest.

Your easy button may be Pinterest or Facebook. It doesn’t matter which one it is. What matters is concentrating your effort there.

This isn’t a pass to stop with the other basics. You really do need a presence on all three (blogging, Facebook and Twitter). But just do the bare minimum and have fun hanging out in the place you like best.

Several things will happen when you do:

  • Your numbers of follower/friends will grow.
  • The number of meaningful conversations (engagement) will increase.
  • You’ll enjoy your time with social media more.
So I’m curious, what social media networks work best for you?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie


Tweetables

14 comments:

  1. Hi Edie,

    Although my writing tends to be a bit long winded, I really do like Twitter the best. Though, I confess, I am addicted to blogging and Facebook, what gets my blog the most traffic is Twitter. It just seems to come easiest there for my writing. Do I like being confined to only 140 characters? No! Absolutely not! But do I like the results? Yes!

    I would like to see an article (maybe you've done one) on how to put articles on Pinterest. I've figured out how to put books on Pinterest, but how about a blog post, column, or article? I know at this point, I'm underusing Pinterest, but I think once this semester ends, I might be able to tackle it head on.

    Thank you for the work you do. The past week or so, I've come to realize that I've come a long way baby!

    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, to link a blog post to Pinterest, just pin a picture from that specific post. Pinterest does the rest. That's why I have the Pin-It buttons that pop up on all my images. And yes, you have come a long way. You're doing great! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I have been spending the last few months learning to be consistent in two arenas, blogging and twitter. Because I'm new at it, there is much to learn, but I set up a plan and it seems to be working. Process is slow, but it's still forward movement. Your advice has been so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, slow and steady wins the race. I know it's a cliche, but there's a reason…it works! Hang in there, you're doing all the right things. Remember, I'm here if you need help. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I'd like to know how to put blog posts on Pinterest too. I'm still finding my way in the social media. Nothing is my favorite, but I'm trying to change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it's okay to take time to find your easy button. It was a long time before I discovered Twitter was mine. There's a definite learning curve. And yes, look for a blog post on Pinterest next week. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Right now mine is Facebook for personal interaction but I'm building my Twitter presence. As soon as WriMo is over I plan to start a blog. I've got it set up and have my material ready but want to concentrate on my novel for right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, I like your priorities! You'll find social media slows way down in December (because of the holidays) but it's a GREAT time to start a blog. It gives you a whole month of experimentation time. Be sure to let us know when it's up and we'll all stop by and say Hi! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. I enjoy blogging the most. I love having conversations with people, whom I now call friends, from all over the world. I love giving out information (Friday Photography Tips) that people can use. Too, I love sharing my pics (Wordless Wednesday). And sharing about what I'm learning in life (Monday's Musings). I'm only blogging three days a week, but I'm being consistent. Learned that tip from a great blogger and mentor! ;) I'll add in more days later.

    I've held off on Pinterest for fear I'll never be seen again. ;) But I think it will be my next love.

    Thanks for giving us options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you've done a GREAT job of connecting through your blog. And one of the main reasons is because your priority is your readers, not yourself. You've found the key. And yes, I think we might lose you permanently when you venture into Pinterest! Love you! E

      Delete
  6. I'm on 7 social media sites, but enjoy blogging and Facebook the most. Goodreads and Pinterest are next in line, with Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ taking up the slack. My time is limited, so I focus mainly on the first two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm a member on six or seven, but I'm like you, only focusing on Twitter and Facebook. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings E

      Delete
  7. I too love enjoy blogging the most. I have a Pintrest account, but seldom use it. I think it is just the fear of not knowing how to use these avenues. I did the same thing with my blog. I practiced for weeks before I ever pushed 'publish'. Now, I've blogged for about 4 years. I like your time limit advice. It can take over your life if you let it. Thanks, Edie. I DO try and put your advice to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you're approaching things exactly right. Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete