Friday, October 4, 2013

Life Lessons—It's Not Over Unless You Say it Is!

by Reba J Hoffman, Ph.D


As you read this, I’m pedaling my way south from Northern Florida on the Road to Freedom Bicycle Tour to help women who have been the victims of violent assault.

Those of you who have followed the journey will remember I tore a ligament in my knee six weeks ago. I thought the Tour—at least the bicycle portion of it—was coming to an end.

I shipped my bike to Florida and after attending the American Christian Fiction Writer’s Conference in Indianapolis, I flew to the Sunshine State, albeit kicking and screaming all the way.

During those weeks of healing, the urge to help these women only increased. I knew I could not stop Road to Freedom. I spent two weeks on a farm in Kentucky and stared out the window over the open fields at night praying that God would show me His will.

I knew my work wasn’t completed and I began exploring other ways I could keep the great mission alive and moving forward. I explored RV’s and even searched for motorcycles on Craig’s List.

But, I just wasn’t ready to give up the bike. It disarms women when this gray-haired woman rides up on a bicycle loaded down with gear. When I tell them my story, many of them feel the freedom to say, “It happened to me.”

Road to Freedom simply had to continue. Period.

My knee improved, slowly at first but then rapidly. By the time I reached the Florida sand, I had no pain. I was timid since I’d spent several weeks in a knee brace but the pain was undeniably absent!

I pulled my bicycle out of the shipping box and put it back together again. The next day I rode it forty miles across the largest city in the world. Still, no pain. No tenderness. Not even a twinge!

So today, Road to Freedom Tour continues. That’s a great thing but what’s even greater is the fact that you’re just like me. I’m nobody special. I don’t have super powers.

I just dug in my heels and decided that I would do whatever it takes to continue. You, too can look at your circumstance and say, “It’s not over unless I say it is!”

You may not be faced with an injury thousands of miles from home but you do have a dream, a mission that you have set out to accomplish. Never, never, never give up on your dream.

I encourage you to make a decision today that you are not going to accept the circumstances, but rather reach deep within yourself and find what you need to stay the course and complete the mission.

After all, it’s not over unless you say it is!

What are you facing today? What difficulties are you wrestling with? Share it here!

Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @MagellanCoach.

12 comments:

  1. What great encouragement, Reba! Terrific accomplishment you've made, and continue to work toward, since you've decided your mission continues. The concept that my progress toward my goal can progress as long as I want it to, is what I needed to press on. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you feel that way Ellen! Keep moving forward. That's what's important!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful story. It's amazing encouragement for those of us who are not as persistent when faced with adversity (that would be me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika I can so relate! But you can do it! Just one step and another step... soon you'll be where you want to be!

      Delete
  3. Right on time. Thank you for cheering us on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dragging around a dream for sometime now, and I do mean dragging. I'm starting to feel a bit Eeyore-ish about it. I have hopes the next piece of encouragement will be the one that catapults me into action.

    This could be it, Reba. I'll let you know. Happy your back to riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kim, NOW HEAR THIS! Picking up your dream and running with it requires far less energy than dragging it! So, pick it up and run! :-)

      Delete
    2. Oops, you're (not your).

      I hear you! Thanks. :)

      Delete
  5. You have no idea how much I needed some encouragement after this week. I almost let a disappointment derail me but I have renewed energy and will keep plugging away. Have a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful that God worked it out for you concerning the bike ride, and that you are an encourager. So what does one do when they have no job, no car, and yet their only means of transportation is a bicycle. The job hunting has not resulted in a job. He has been very faithful, allowed the gas bill to be paid, and yet I don't have the money for the next bill. None of my situation changes who He is, but it is very hard especially when I have really tried to stay submitted to Him.

    ReplyDelete