Thursday, September 12, 2013

Writing Road Detours—NOT the Roadblocks You Think!


I’ve never met a writer whose road to publication was a straight path. All of them tell stories about a much longer journey, often filled with detours and odd twists.

But one thing they all say is that they wouldn’t be where they are today without the experience they gained along the journey. Here’s my story:

I stared at the letter in my hand, almost unable to comprehend what I read. It was two days before Christmas, 1999. I’d been so sure God had called me to write, specifically to write Bible studies. This particular manuscript had been at the publishers over a year and, until now, I’d only received encouragement about the progress toward my first book contract.

Dear Mrs. Melson, We’re sorry but this manuscript doesn’t fit
 our needs at this time. While it’s a good manuscript, you just 
don’t have the platform needed.

First came the tears, then anger and frustration. Why had God planted this seed of hope within me only to deny me the opportunity?

Fast forward to Christmas 2007, the first year our family celebrated Christmas apart. Our oldest was serving as an infantry marine in Iraq. To say it was a tough year is almost a laughable understatement, but we made it through. God brought our son home safe.

Then on Veterans Day 2011 my first book debuted—a devotional for military families. The best first book I could have ever had because it was birthed out of the fire of experience. But I had to walk the path to get there.

During those years—that long time which felt more like treading water than moving forward—God was refining my heart and giving me time to learn to write well.

I learned that just because I had a heart to write, and a calling to write, I still had a lot to learn. Raw talent is never enough. Nothing can replace experience.

Take a look around you right now. You’re in a unique place, a place that has a lot to teach you, a place you’ll never be able to return to. Don’t waste the experiences you have access to right now. Go deep and wide as a writer, and no matter what the future brings you’ll have built a boat circumstances can never sink.

How have unexpected detours actually moved you further along the writing road? Share your experiences to encourage someone else.

Writing Road Detours aren't Roadblocks, they're shortcuts on God's Path! Click to Tweet!

And don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

12 comments:

  1. Life is about learning experiences and everything we do and go through is a learning experience, God will build on teaching us to walk, but first we need to learn to crawl instead of whine. I learned to truck in Vietnam via OJT. The first time I needed to back up in a straight line was during a mortar attack and I was in an ammunition dump with a load of bombs on my truck. I finally jumped out of the truck and rode the forklift to the safety of a bunker. When I finally got back to base I taught myself to back up in a straight line at full speed with the pedal on the floor. My very first load as a
    civilian truck driver that experience paid off. The Lord prepared my path and I thank him for that every day. Love the hands picture. Do you know what kind of plant it is, I think gourd of some kind or melon?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Vinca, Ric, and I appreciate your story. I've lived in relative obscurity for the last 20 years as a homeschool mom rearing and educating my children. Sometimes I wondered if I was wasting my "talent." When my years were over, I had enough wisdom and experience to write a devotional book for other homeschooling moms.

      I continue to work part time as a dental hygienist. Sometimes my patients will hear about my writing life and ask if I'm going to quit being a dental hygienist. I always smile secretively and say, "Oh, no! This is where I find all my best material!" :)

      Delete
    2. Lori, just because we live in physical obscurity doesn't mean we live in spiritual obscurity. Something I've had to learn. Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
    3. Ric, what a great example! Thanks so much for sharing your story. Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Edie, thanks for sharing part of your writing journey with us today.

    I started out writing screenplays in 2003. Years later I realized how difficult it is to break into the movie business (from any aspect, really, but especially as a writer.) Then one day it hit me. Why don't I write books? I mean, I've always loved reading books, but I had never really thought about the fact that someone had to write those books. Oh sure, I'd noticed the bylines. But it never occurred to me that maybe I could be one of those people who has a byline on a book cover. When I finally took notice and realized I had stories in me that could easily (okay, not so easily) be transformed into books instead of (or alongside) screenplays, I started digging into the how-to's of writing a novel. Yes, I'm still learning. Yes, I will always still be learning. But I'd like to think my journey is progressing nicely now. I finished another round of edits for book one of a series I'm working on. Next up? Researching, plotting and writing book two. I'm so excited!

    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, that's great encouragement! Thanks so much for sharing your story, Blessings E

      Delete
  3. This is so encouraging, Edie. I've been around many obstacles and crawled over some difficult roadblocks in the past three years. I'm still struggling to work on the study I planned (What's that old saying about making plans?)to finish two years ago.

    I pray my experiences over these years will enrich my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry I know it will. I've learned God never wastes the experiences He gives us! Hang in there! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. This is so encouraging. I now realize that I have to go through the process to get the reward. I'm experiencing such a dry spell in my life, but I know God will pull me through with something BIGGER than I can imagine. Thank you soooooo much.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I'm so glad I was able to encourage you. Dry spells are incredibly hard, but the harvest that comes after is worth the pain. Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Edie. My path seems so long because I'm old and have a number of illnesses. I sometimes stress that I may not have enough time to learn what I need to learn so my first book will finally be published. Then... I realize God is in total control of my writing life. If He wants the book published, it will be published. I need to concentrate on what I can learn each day and how I can grow in my skills so that my writing is worthy of being published. It's a long road. However, when I look back a year or two, I am amazed at how I have grown. I'm more at peace now about the journey. I also try not to forget about the every day writing opportunities that may never make it to paper. The words written on facebook, blogs, and emails can be more important than our books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One phrase that always arrests me in Scripture: "...in the fullness of time..." I want to be on God's timetable, not mine.

    In retrospect, I see how important that my book came out this year as opposed to 4 or 5 years ago. Not only is my writing better, but also current events make the book more believable.

    Of course, when we're traveling this road, we don't see these things. It takes trust to keeping putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete