Friday, August 16, 2013

Life Lessons—Just Over the Hill

by Reba J. Hoffman, Ph.D.


As you all know, I’m in the middle of my Road to Freedom Bicycle Tour Across America to help women who have been the victims of violent assault and who suffer from PTSD.

As I type this, I’m sitting at the riverside park in Owensboro, KY overlooking the Ohio River. The sun is setting to the west and I am satisfied after a long day in the saddle.

At some points on my trip, I faced hills so steep, they reminded me of cliffs. My lungs screamed for more air and my legs begged to turn around and coast back down. But I wondered what I would do when I got there.

My direction is forward. Ever forward. So I mustered the energy I had and begged some from God. It wasn’t pretty but I pushed my loaded bicycle up and over a gargantuan hill.

Remember when Dorothy opened the door to her home after it had been moved by the tornado and a whole new colorful world emerged? That’s exactly what had been awaiting me, just over the hill.

It was amazing. Breathtaking. Unbelievable!

For the rest of the day, I rode through rich countryside in the heart of Amish country in western Kentucky. I made friends with Amish mules as they grazed and rode for miles without seeing another soul.

I’ve seen the country. I’ve traveled down roads in my life that were amazing. But none of it prepared me for this part of Kentucky. And I would have missed it if I’d not pushed on to see what was just over the hill.

I know you face those challenges in your life and writing career as well. You get the wind sucked out of you and you wonder if the journey outweighs the challenges. It would be so much easier to pull over and stop your forward progress.

But there is an amazing world that will open up as soon as you reach the summit. It is so beautiful, you can’t even imagine what it is like.

When your legs wobble under the weight of the enormous weight you’re pushing and everything within you screams to stop, dig in. Give it one more effort. You’ll get to the top and when you do, you’ll be so glad you can now see the glory that was there all the time… just over the hill.

Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering how far you would get when you first started this trip. It may be leisurely, but it is seriously so. You have made good time to be in Owensboro, KY already. I live an hour north of there. As an ex-truck driver I am enjoying following your adventure and your perspectives on what you have seen and experienced. Good luck and enjoy the cooler than normal weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for "pushing" us up that hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to persevere until we reach our goals, in writing or other areas of our lives Reba. Sometimes it's easier to stop and turn around, but we miss out on what God has in store for us just around the bend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Ellen. It might be easier but it's far less gratifying! Over the next hill is where God's glory meets our inner goals and the result is magnificent!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I'm about to crest one of my gargantuan hills. My lungs are screaming, my mind tells me I'm crazy, but Jesus encourages me with, "Just a little bit farther". Thank you for your words and mission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right, Reba. The push is always worth what's on the other side. Keep pedaling, and may the wind always be to your back!

    ReplyDelete