Friday, August 23, 2013

Life Lessons—It's NOT About the Bike

by Reba J. Hoffman, Ph.D


Seriously. It’s not about the bike. When I struck out on a cross country trek on my bicycle on July 13th, I looked in my helmet mirror and saw Edie pulling away. It was official. I’d started the Road to Freedom Tour and my life would never be the same.

I didn’t know what to expect, but I just knew it was about the bike. Turns out, I was wrong. Today is day 42 of the tour. I’ve met hundreds of people, ministered to countless women who are struggling fearfully through a great big world.

I’ve learned a lot about the bike, about myself and about people in general. The most valuable lesson is that opportunity comes at the most critical moments. When I reach the end of myself, God not only ministers to me, but places someone in my path that I need to minister to.

I also realized that if I have the opportunity to minister to others, it ministers to me more. Whatever I’m facing seems to pale into insignificance when the anointing is flowing out of me to another.

I’ve come to know experientially that there is a reason for everything… everything. When I take a wrong turn, or when something goes wrong with my bike, there’s a reason for it. And that reason is something really great!

I learned not to question why things happen… why I’m stuck out in the open in a thunderstorm… why my bicycle computer stops working at a critical time… why Google maps sends me down a soft gravel road.

I’m sure you face your share of challenges in your life. You can’t seem to find the right words to type in your plot. The agent passed on representing you. It’s enough to get you discouraged and wanting to throw in the towel.

But just as assuredly as this journey of mine is not about my bike, your writing journey is not about the book. It’s about you, and about those lives that will change as a result of you putting words on the page.

It’s not about word count or galley edits. It’s about hurting people who will pick up your book, read it and their lives will be changed.

So don’t fret about the book. When things don’t seem to go right, just know that God is behind it and He is a God of purpose. There is a reason for even the uncomfortable challenges you face.

Trust me, it’s not about the bike… or the book.

What challenges have you faced lately? What did you do about them? Share it here! 

Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @MagellanCoach.

9 comments:

  1. Yes. That's all I can say. You are so right, Rebate. On all counts. I will pray for your pedaling journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa Debbie. I was so hoping I was getting a Rebate! I've been called rebel, Rebecca, Rubicon, but never Rebate. hahahahahaha
      You made my day!
      Thanks for stopping by and for your prayers. They keep me pressing ever forward!

      Delete
  2. Oh no! If you can edit my previous comment, can you change Rebate to Reba? Silly autocorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see your still at it. After all the beauty of the east. Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma can be boring. They are miles of nothing but more miles. I do not know which route your taking, but from my trucking years I think Wyoming comes from the Indian word for Windy. It always is. While the flatness can be boring it requires less concentration and allows you time to reflect on life and your travels. I pray the winds are light and the sky is blue for that part of your trip. At bike speed you may see many things I missed from my truck. May God put a hedge of protection around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! After being in mountains, I'm relishing the flatlands. I will be headed back into the mountains of Kentucky and Indiana on my way from Illinois to Indianapolis. I have some speaking engagements lined up there so I'll see a lot more hills before the Kansas flatlands. Thank you for the prayers and encouragement!

      Delete
    2. I agree Ric. I am from the east coast, moved out here to the Midwest and although I think the sunsets are beautiful, there is nothing like tiptoeing (sp?) through the ocean waves... Reba, be safe and may God take charge of your bike:)

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! I appreciate the encouragement and well wishes!

      Delete
  4. It's always about God's timing and His desires for the best for us, even when we can see it. Love going on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Reba, and I couldn't agree more. I've always said everything happens for a reason even when I haven't lived like I believe it. But I really, really, really do believe it. Now, to act like it.

    Keep on biking. I'm loving your journey.

    ReplyDelete