Sunday, July 28, 2013

Weekend Worship—I Wouldn't Choose It, But I Wouldn't Change It

And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:27 (NIV)

A lot of writing is like cross carrying. We tend to write about things that matter to us. Things matter to us because of our life experiences. 

When difficult things arise we all tend to ask why. I've found a more productive way to look at those traumas that shape us.


I think we all have regrets in our life, no matter how old we are. I have things I regret doing and not doing. I also have things I regret going through. I used to spend a lot of time in prayer asking God why and I got frustrated because God often didn’t seem to answer. 


Then one day, while reading my Bible, I came across this verse. I’ve read this verse many times before, but this time God’s Spirit spoke to me. He showed me that God doesn’t like the pain I’ve been through, but He’s used it in a powerful way in my life. He showed me that I wouldn’t be the person I am, without those times I regret. They are, in effect, my cross. They are things I've had to carry to become more Christ-like.

So for me, the question has become, “Do I want to be more like Jesus?” Absolutely! Then, I’ve had to look back and come to the painful knowledge that those times of regret have done that. They’ve made me into the person I am today. I’m now able to say, “I wouldn’t choose it, but I wouldn’t change it.” Is that easy? No way. Sometimes it takes years after a painful event or circumstance, but I can unequivocally say it’s worth the battle.

What are your regrets? Look back and let God show you the great things He’s done through them. I'd love to hear about some of the things you've learned. 

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

5 comments:

  1. Edie, I've never thought of it in this way before. I've asked "why" many times, but I can honestly say that I've never thought of praying the prayer you did. Yes, a lot of my writing comes from my personal experience. To say, "I wouldn't choose it but I wouldn't change it is a powerful statement. Thanks for the thought-provoking post today. Love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those words, "I wouldn't choose it, but I wouldn't change it" are great. God's used some painful experiences in my life to grow me as well.

    For me, the "Why?" question has become "What now? What are you trying to teach me, God?" It changes the focus and makes me more willing to listen for the answer, even if it's a long time coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful statement! God's taught me a lot by the difficulties I've experienced. I've even been able to reach out to those hurting in a similar way and offer comfort. Sometimes, though, I look back and ask, "Was it worth it?" Your words give me a different perspective and a new question, "How are You using that past difficulty today."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a strong statement. Most people are saying, including me, "I wish I could go back and change that and that ...." In fact, I said those words to my husband as we were driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway last week. We were talking of the past. And I did remark to him, "But if we could change things from the past--what would it mess up here in the present? Things that now mean so much to us? So, I agree with what you said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog. I have now realized that God uses all things in my life to change me and help others.
    I loved your honesty and remarks. Rose Harmer

    ReplyDelete