Friday, July 5, 2013

Life Lessons—Your Declaration of Independence


by Reba J. Hoffman, Ph.D

In 1776, a group of men made a bold move. They had a dream of a life like nothing anyone had ever experienced. They wrote a plan and signed it with ink and quill, not knowing how or at what cost their dream would come true.

They declared their freedom and set in motion the building of a whole new life. They declared their independence and forged a new road that we travel down today. They were so committed to that new way of life, they stood in the face of naysayers and shouted, “Give me liberty or give me death!”

What about you? Don’t you dream of a different life? One where magnificent prose is limited only by your own creativity? When was the last time you made a declaration of independence from the normalcy of mediocrity?

You can learn a lot about your own dream by revisiting the bravery of our nation’s founders. Here are a few:

  • You’ll always meet opposition. Always. No matter how wonderful your dream of being a published author is, at some point, you’ll find yourself squarely in the face of those who don’t believe in what you’re trying to accomplish. Dream anyway.
  • Your dream is worth living for. I’ve heard writers say they’d rather die than to not write. If your purpose is that strong, it’s definitely worth living to achieve. Live your life in pursuit of that dream.
  • It won’t be easy. Let’s face it, it will be more difficult than even a creative mind like you can imagine. Get used to the pain and keep moving forward. You’ll reap your reward soon enough.
  • Nothing rewards like freedom. I’ve been in third world countries ruled by tyranny. There is no feeling like the airplane wheels touching down on American soil. Freedom oozes from the concrete to kiss the soles of your shoes. Being free to write has the same effect. You have to take the journey to reap the rewards.
  • Someone pays the price. Freedom never has been and never will be free. Someone has to pay the price. You’ll pay for it in blood, sweat and tears but in the end, you’ll know you’ve purchased it, free and clear.


Our forefathers showed you that your dreams are worth fighting for. At some point, you have to stand up to the world and boldly declare your independence. You have to forge your own future as an author, no matter what others think or say.

If you do, you’ll lay your tired body down at the end of the day and sleep in peace, knowing you gave it your all… today. You made your declaration of independence. What’s more, you’ll get up tomorrow and do it all again, because it’s a purpose worth pursuing.

Give it your all. Declare it. Live it. Enjoy it.

Well, have you? You know, made your declaration of independence? Share it here!


Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

7 comments:

  1. My battle has been more internal than external but the Lord drew the battle line in the sand for me several weeks ago so I've declared my independence from the opposition -- the enemy, flesh, and self-doubts.

    Give it your all. Declare it. Live it. Enjoy it. (This is going on my inspiration board!)

    Thank you, Reba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy I'm thrilled that the Lord drew the battle line in the sand. He did say the battle was His. I cannot tell you how many times I did not pursue my dreams because I doubted or other people did not agree.

    This is YOUR life. Your dream. So glad you are declaring your independence from everything that has kept you back from taking the journey your heart is whispering to you.

    I'm so proud of you. Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reba. I began your Dare to Dream journal this morning. I've read it through in the past but now I'm digging in and plan to do the necessary "work."

      God bless you! I always look forward to your Friday posts. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Reba -

    I related to every one of your bullet points. My journey to publication took 8 years, but I'm so glad I didn't give up. The second book will be out within a few months. God has been so good to me!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful Susan! So glad you didn't give up, too! Congratulations on your second book coming out! Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Someone pays the price" ... so true. Worth being very grateful for.

    ReplyDelete