Friday, July 19, 2013

Life Lessons—What Faithful Really Means


by Reba J. Hoffman, Ph.D

Me and Dakota getting ready to take off.
Last Friday I announced my plans to set out the next day on a solo cross country bicycle trip to help women who suffer from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Read my own story about overcoming PTSD.

I’ve had an entire week on the road and until this week, I didn’t understand the depth and breadth of faithful. God has shown Himself faithful in more ways that I can imagine and, trust me, I have a GREAT imagination.

Here are just a few of the highlights:

A man named Christian loaned me his front yard in a storm to camp.

Me and Elijah
A young man (or surely an angel in a McDonald’s uniform) took me to his family’s log cabin in the woods. This family was beyond amazing.

I fell down a flight of stairs and clearly ripped something in the back of my shoulder. People prayed and today (just 4 days later), I still have bruises but NO pain or soreness.

A woman appeared out of nowhere and offered me ice and water.

A seven year old girl was very concerned that I might be out on the road alone on a bike without Jesus. Once convinced Jesus was in my heart, she offered her collection of stuffed kitty cats to comfort me. Hey, it works for her.

An 89 year old Korean War Veteran named Donald who lives in a trailer without water, plumbing or electricity offered the only thing he had: his front lawn to pitch my tent.

Korean war veteran, Donald
A total stranger named David drove me 15 miles in the opposite direction from where he was going, then insisted on getting me a hotel room for the day so I could recover from severe dehydration.

Dakota (my bike) and I took a tumble forty feet down a ravine with fifty pounds of gear. Though it took over an hour and half to get everything back up top, neither Dakota nor I were injured at all.

An eighty-year-old woman named Evelyn insisted on buying my lunch. She handed me five, one dollar bills, apologizing that it wasn’t more. She explained she was on social security. When I tried to give it back, she refused, saying God  had instructed her to do that.

No matter what road I’ve traveled down, God has been there. The goodness of people has come forth, and my faith has never been higher. So if you were to ask me today what faith really means, I would tell you this:

The ultimate trust in He who created us to work everything to our better end than it was in our beginning. Beginning of life…beginning of a journey…beginning of today.

That’s what I experienced this week.

You know I’m doing this to help women who survived violent assault to find the courage to overcome it and to take back their lives. I rely on you to help me spread the word. Would you help get this message out?

It would also be helpful if you’d buy my book:


Available now for $2.99 at Amazon.com

I look forward to taking this journey with you!


Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful testimony to both God's faithfulness and your worship. Recognizing the Lord at work is one of the best ways to praise Him! Still, stay away from stairs and ravines. :)

    Be safe on the rest of your trip and I'll share this on my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sharing your posts with a friend who suffers from PTSD. I know it will help her. Praying for you and your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'll say it backwords: WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tom! I'm much better now and headed northwest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your journey and the blessings you've experienced, Reba. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures.

    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the goodness of God shown through loving hearts and helping hands. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete