Friday, June 7, 2013

Life Lessons—Taking Advantage of the Storm

by Reba J. Hoffman, Ph.D.


I’m a sunny day gal. Perhaps you are, too. I don’t like to see dark clouds in the sky and I get rainy day blues. That can be challenging in the summer in Florida since it rains every single day.

As I write this, it’s rainy in Appalacia where I am. *sigh* I’d much rather be out riding my bike or hiking through the woods in the bright sunshine. Instead, I’m holed up in the Barnes and Noble cafĂ© getting work done.

Those in the “Sunshine” state learn quickly to plan their summer days for BS or ASBefore the Storm or After the Storm. It becomes routine. Like all Floridians, I became strategic about how I would break up my days. Mornings were spent doing outdoor activities. Storms were spent doing non-internet related computer work or reading. Evenings were always spent indoors doing internet work because the humidity after storms is stifling.

Just like millions of Floridians, you will face storms in your life, perhaps on a daily basis. It’s bound to happen. You’ll be sailing along with your word count when you’re suddenly drenched with one of life’s emotional storms.

Don’t do what I do. Trust me, sulking about the rain doesn’t help. It only makes you feel like a drowned puppy. Nor should you try to avoid the storm. That’s as impossible as catching the wind and putting it in a box.

Instead of trying to avoid the tempests, you should learn to dance in the rain. Seriously, have a cha-cha with the storms in your life. Imagine rain coming down in heavy sheets, so thick you can’t see fifty feet in front of you. Could be frightening, right?

Now imagine you running around in theat rain, laughing and licking up the precious raindrops. You twirl and jump in puddles with the one you love. Doesn’t that bring a smile to your face?

You can’t avoid the storms in your writing life any more than you can stop the summer thunderheads from forming in the puffy white clouds. So why not make the best of them?

Have a plan on what you will do when the storm hits. That way you’ll be able to implement the plan when your writing world gets cloudy. And when the storm pops up unexpectedly, you’ll instinctively know what to do to seek shelter and wait it out.

Don’t pout about the storm or cry over the fact that life rained on your writing parade. Use the storm to your advantage. Embrace it and ride it out in style. That will keep you from being discouraged and will keep you moving forward in spite of the flood of negative energy that just dumped on your day. Trust me, it’s worth the effort! You’ll be glad you did!

What storms have you faced lately? How did you handle it? Share it here!

photo courtesy of
Mary Denman
Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

7 comments:

  1. Reba, you have no idea how these words have ministered to me today -- but God does -- and I thank you for sharing them.

    What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad they helped, Cathy. Isn't it amazing how God orchestrates things? Be encouraged today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so a sunny day girl too!!! But I'm telling you, you now have me craving a latte at Barnes and Nobel. Love your place here. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come join me Alene! :-)We'll get through the rain together.

      Delete
  4. Great advice, Reba. It's not a matter if the storms come, it's a matter of when they come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Storms are inevitable. And sometimes it's really hard to dance in the rain. But after quite a few storms myself, it is so much better to just dance! Rely on God to teach you what He will through the storm, and know that you will come out washed and smoothed when it's over. I wish more people could realize what God is doing for us during those storms in our lives! Thanks for the reminder Reba!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just reading this today - and this is the day I need it. God is so good! I love your phrase "capturing the wind and putting it in a box." I need to remember that God is the Creator of the wind.

    ReplyDelete