Monday, April 1, 2013

Social Media Monday—The New Facebook Timeline is Here


I warned you several weeks ago that on March 7, Facebook would be rolling out a new look for the personal profile timeline. And right on schedule, they began the change. Of course they can’t make the change to everyone at the same time, but many of us are seeing the new timeline. I got mine this past week, and I have to say I’m pleased with the changes.


You won’t see any change to your newsfeed, only your profile timeline. The biggest difference is that Facebook has changed the feed to a single column instead of the two-column look. I prefer that because it was confusing to find something when I had to go back and forth across the page.
Screenshot of my TIMELINE on my persona profile
If you’re not sure which is which the screenshot above is your newsfeed. The screenshot below is the new look of the timeline on your personal profile.
Screenshot of my NEWSFEED on my personal profile
Another good change is the size of the images that accompany each post. These are quite a bit bigger. That’s good because it means you’ll see more of the image without having to click on the image directly. 

There are still two columns on the feed. But the left column is an extension of the ABOUT section. While the about section is still a tab at the top of the page, it’s also highlighted at the upper left of the screen. Below that you’ll find your FRIENDS listing.
This screenshot shows the two columns, the larger image sizes,
the continuation of your about section, and your new FRIENDS listing
In the screenshot below, I've scrolled down and now you see my PHOTOS, as well as the listing of music I like.
Here you see where my PHOTOS are located, as well as the MUSIC I like
Scroll down further and you see the MOVIES, TV SHOWS, and BOOKS I read, as well as the Facebook Pages I've LIKED. (You'll notice I got tired of filling in information and haven't updated all of these yet.)

This screenshot includes MOVIES, TV SHOWS, and BOOKS
The next screenshot below shows you the NOTES you've added and RECENT ACTIVITY. Also note that recent activity is a picture of some things you've recently done on Facebook.

Here you see where to find NOTES and RECENT ACTIVITY.
Also note the CHAT icon in the bottom right of the screen.
You'll also want to note the red arrow in the bottom right corner. This is where you find the CHAT option. I keep mine turned off completely so I can work in peace. Otherwise it's too much of a temptation. To adjust yours, just click on it and then click on the CLOG icon. You'll find three options to choose from:

How to configure your CHAT settings.
Now ends your guided tour of the new Facebook Timeline, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about the changes. Also, please feel free to post any general Facebook questions you have in the comments section.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the step by step walk-thru, Edie - it hasn't happened to me yet, but now I'm prepared. I'm not usually a big fan of change and get frustrated when Facebook does this yet AGAIN, but as you said, the changes seem to be for the better!
    I have a facebook question for you: I have recently opened a professional fb page to allow public access versus the private fb page that I'd like to remain personal and accessible only to close family & friends. I'm questioning if this is truly neecessary, although my gut tells me that it is. I haven't started to develop the page yet because I'm still on the fence and it does seem to get a little tricky to balance the two addresses, making sure that I'm logged on to the correct one. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. Thanks! (additional thanks for your support last week when you made my day!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ, there are a lot of different opinions about a professional page in addition to a personal one. My professional page is a source of frustration but that's my fault and here's why. I started it too late in the process. I already had a large following of professional contacts on my personal page. Now I find it almost impossible to get them to go to my professional page. Everyone would rather be considered a friend rather than a fan. I think I'd have a totally different experience if I'd started my profession page earlier. When is the right time? Id say when you have no more than 300-500 friends or less on your personal page. After that you can do it, but it's taking a lot of work! I'd say for you, keep working on your professional page. I think you'll be glad you put in the effort. Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I agree that the one column is so much easier to use. Glad FB responded to feedback on that one! Very clear and helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the larger pictures and one-column format. Thanks for the walk-through of the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps to know what's coming. Sometimes the worst part is when it just suddenly appears. I appreciate your thoughts! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Edie, are these changes all visual? Also, as you know, I have a professional page on Facebook, but I don't update it as much as I should. Since it's a page for women (and men if they'd like) to connect, what would you recommend that I update it with? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually changes in the format, but only on your personal profile. The changes don't affect your professional page. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Edie, thanks for the great walk-through on the Facebook changes. Your posts are always super helpful!

    Facebook question for you. How do you suggest pointing someone to your professional page if they've made a friend request? I have a professional page, but wasn't sure how to direct someone to it if they send a friend request to my personal profile. Would you PM them? Not sure how to handle that Facebook challenge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I would personal message them, like you said. I'd phrase it something like this.

      I'm glad you contacted me and I'd love to connect with you. I keep my personal page for family updates and ask that my friends and professional contacts visit with me on my author (fill in what kind of page it is, don't use professional page because that implies distance between you and them.) page.

      The reasons they contacted your personal profile instead of page boil down to two: either they didn't know you had a professional page, or they wanted to connect with you on a more friend-like basis. By choosing your words carefully you can alleviate any negative feelings about connecting on a page versus a profile.

      I hope this helps! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. I like the new look, and I especially like the option to turn CHAT off. I'm too nice in that it's hard for me to ignore someone who breaks in with a chat message. I feel compelled to respond.
    Thanks for the great over-view, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've seen it on my timeline yet...but I will love the single column. I hated the two column look too. And yes, I've learned to keep my chat turned off. I'll get caught up chatting forever if I leave it on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads-up, Edie! I agree. The two-column format was annoying. Back and forth, back and forth. Enough was enough. So glad this has been changed to a single column.

    Blessings,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete