Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How Writing Ruined My Wife—I had to Learn a New Language


by Kirk Melson

I try to be a supportive husband when it comes to my wife’s publishing career, but I made a mistake early on in the process that has come back to haunt me…often

She’d been meeting with her critique group and was going on and on about how someone didn’t get what she’d written. Understand me, it wasn’t because she thought she was right and they were wrong. It was because they didn’t understand the GENRE she wrote in.

I truly wanted to sympathize with what she was going through, so I asked for a definition. 
It was the word genre that threw me. All this time I’d been under the impression she wrote in English.

Fortunately I  didn’t share that thought out loud. Turns out genre for writers means the general category they write. At the time (and now) Edie wrote science fiction. Turns out the person who didn’t get what she’d written had never even watched Star Trek.

Personally, I’m in total sympathy with that poor person. I was about to get introduced to world every bit as unimaginable!

My wife is sharp, and from then on, whenever she caught that same slight puzzled expression on my face she’d stop to find out which word I found confusing. I know that sounds like something a kind person would do. Except for the fact that I don’t do foreign languages. Heck, I don’t even speak Klingon.

Beyond that, I’m getting older and that means brain cells are dying off at an alarming rate. I’d like to use the ones I have on things I can actually use. But no, now I find myself in possession of a new language.

I know the difference between a Query Letter, a Cover Letter, and a Proposal. I’ve actually even had the privilege of editing a few. I’ve learned there are different types of publishers, Traditional, Indie, and Self. And that the latter used to be referred to as a Vanity Press. I know that Going to Press, has nothing to do with publishing a newspaper, and journalists do a different type of writing from what my wife does.

I know what POD means (Print on Demand) and why it’s a good thing. I know a House is short for Publishing House and is where manuscripts (they’re not books until they’re printed) find a home instead of people.

I learned about Pub Boards the hard way—holding my wife in my arms as she sobbed about a refusal after the editor took her manuscript to committee—two days before Christmas. If you’re curious, you CANNOT fix this. Take her to dinner, buy her flowers, invest in a tissue company. Just get ready, it happens more than I ever imagined and it NEVER gets any easier.

I know that writers who want to be published by someone else need to have a Platform. And that’s not a tall wooden stand that someone speaks from. It is a way to talk to people but it involves a lot of social networking—and you already know how I feelabout that.

I’ve helped her come up with a tagline, practice her pitch, and weighed in on back cover copy. I’m ashamed to admit I know that YA stands for Young Adult and Spec Fiction (know as speculative to newbies) is category where you find books by those who write anything weird (like my wife).

Truthfully I had no idea how complicated publishing was. I'd always just gone to a book store, picked out a book, read what was on the back and made a decision. I'd never had any idea about the complicated process between writing and selling. Fortunately I have a patient and loving wife who’s willing to share what she’s learned.

But I have to ask, is anyone else out there struggling with this new language? Any advice or any words I should add to my vocabulary? I could really use a dictionary.

Special Thanks to our good friend and photographer, Mary Denman, for the impromptu photo session!

26 comments:

  1. He is such a good sport! My hubs can relate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a good sport! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. LOL Kirk! Considering Edie has a book on steam punk on the coffee table, you might want to peruse it and learn about that genre! ;)

    Advance is a great word to learn. That means money that comes to Edie up front before the books hit the shelves, or ebook, or, well, you get the idea!

















    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two good ones, Mary! Thanks again for the pictures! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Uh...I do believe the person who didn't understand her genre that day was me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonda, I never said that! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Kurk, wait a minute! Edie's not writing anything weird here! Yes, I'm taking up for her! :-) You have a great teacher there...she's taught me a lot of what I know. Love you, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Jamie, it's weird to a lot of folks! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. LOVE this!!! But isn't it just like a man to invest in a tissue company BEFORE he pulls one out to give to his wife ;o)? Just kidding. I'm sure he took care of that before he called his stock broker. Thanks for the much needed giggle this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, so happy we could make your day, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. My husband says, "Amen, brother!" (And he looks forward to commiserating ... I mean, seeing Kirk at BRMCW in May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk's looking forward to that as well! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. LOL, this post made me giggle so much. Loved the photos, too. There are SO many insider terms in the world of publishing. And I've explained "genre" to I-don't-know-how-many people. :) Loving these posts each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, we get used to the terminology and forget how alien we sound to normals! Thanks for dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Me! Waving my hand. I don't understand all the language and I'm a writer. Great and funny post full of information. I'll be back because a lot of my brain cells have been used up and I forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, so true. There's just so many new terms that keep coming up! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Kirk, you are doing great! Just this February my husband asked, "What is 'social media'?" This was a fun read this AM. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, thanks for dropping by. We appreciate the encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. I really enjoy Kirk's sense of humor. And I'm curious to read about his first bout of writer's block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I think you may have given him an idea for a future post! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. I loved this post. And the pictures. :) Kirk, if it makes you feel any better, I've ruined movies for my husband for life. I've got him helping me figure out the black moment, the epiphany, character growth. And, he now helps me see techniques in movies that will make my stories better. One day, I may just convince him he, too, can be a writer. Okay, maybe not. Loved this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if my last comment got erased. :) In the event that it did, I just want to say I loved this post. And the pictures. Kirk, if it makes you feel better, I think I've ruined my husband for life when it comes to movies. He's learned how to find the inciting incident, the black moment and the epiphany (among other things) in a movie. He listens patiently when I share with him about the lie journey and character growth. He's also become quite good at finding techniques in the movie story line and asking if I'm using them in my story. One day, I might just convince him that he can be a writer. Okay, maybe not. :) Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I've had to move to moderated comments so they don't publish right away. As the blog has grown I've developed a spam problem I couldn't combat any other way. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  13. Hmmm I think there's a hubby-wife book in the making here. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, now there's an idea! Thanks for dropping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  14. Loved this post Edie! I actually recognized and could define most of the publishing terms you featured - yay me! I suppose that means I'm finding my way in this crazy world of writing. Also, I too had to go to moderated comments because of spam. Not happy about that, but at least I know my blog is gaining ground :) Bless you and Kirk!

    ReplyDelete