Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend Worship—Are You Part of the Choir?


Then we’ll be a choir—not our voices only, but our very lives singing in harmony in a stunning anthem to the God and Father of our Master Jesus! Romans 15:6 (The Message)

I get the opportunity to talk to a lot of writers. And we all have one big thing in common—insecurity.

It’s actually a trait I see in a lot of people, not just writers. I used to struggle, wondering how someone with as little to offer as me could make a difference in this world. I mean, as a writer who’s a Christian, how could I be as impactful as Beth Moore, Andy Stanley, or Billy Graham. Why would God even need me?

There are lots of logical arguments for and against this lack of confidence. But, for me, none of them ever helped. None of them explained why God would use me when He has so many more qualified. Really does the world need one more Christian writer or blogger, or am I just adding to the noise.

I finally got smart and one morning, during my quiet time, took the question to God. I wanted Him to either confirm His calling on my life or not. Here's what God had to say, not in literal words, but in a new way of thinking about my concern of adding to the noise in the world.

He used the analogy of a choir.

He showed me that He has thousands of voices out there who are His choir. And just like in real choir, the music is more beautiful with more than one soprano or more than one alto. The same holds true with the chorus He’s put together to spread His message. He uses thousands of us, many with the same message, but a unique voice to make up the sections of His choir. He assured me that while I may not be a soloist, He still misses me when I'm not there.

I'm just one voice, but when He directs, the music is divine!

11 comments:

  1. Your words touched my heart this morning. Some of the same questiosn have held me back. My inadequacy took me to a place I couldn't get out of. Today is a new day! I am placing my question of ability and desire to serve before the great Author right NOW! From my grateful heart, Vi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very powerful and helpful words, Edie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding us about the choir. Sometimes in life we see and read only about the successful "soloists" in the writing field, and we feel like a failure singing with the group. But, I try to remind myself that there are a lot more opportunities for the chorus than there are for the soloists! Thanks for sharing your wise words with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He assured me that while I may not be a soloist, He still misses me when I'm not there." What a wonderful reminder that God has a place for us each of in His plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I've had some recent discouragement so this is helpful. Interestingly enough I was just telling a friend today about JB, a former student of mine who had cerebral palsey. Confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak he could still wrap you around his little finger. Somehow he got the message to his foster mom that he wanted to go to church so she took him. She'd been mad at God for quite a while and didn't really want to go, but like I said JB had a way about him. God used that boy to draw the woman back to Him. You know there's another point to your analogy--being part of the choir is less nerve wracking than being the soloist. I never did like the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your blessing with others today. It is encouraging and strengthening to hear the enlightenment you received from God. Isn't it just like Him to make our days brighter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and encouraging! Thank you for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have asked myself these very same questions. Thank you so much for the beautiful analogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a singer, this was an excellent analogy for me to understand my worthiness as a lone writer in the sea of words on the internet. Sunday we performed Handel's Messiah, with 4 soloists and an orchestra, and our choir more than doubled in size with community singers. I always have this profound feeling during this annual concert: that together, we all create something far greater than any of us can do alone. Now I can carry this thought into my writing. I know I am blessed by the writing of so many others. God uses each of us in His own way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this beautiful explanation. God used you to explain this to me - and I am so grateful for your obedience to Him. Well done.

    ReplyDelete