Friday, March 1, 2013

Life Lessons—Change is Good…Yeah, Right!


by Reba J Hoffman, Ph.D

Anyone who cheerfully says change is good has either never experienced it, or is heavily medicated. Change is tough. Agonizing. Downright heart stopping.

As a writer, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Grammar rules changed. Thanks Kirk for letting us know. Publishing requirements remain a moving target. And if that’s not enough, those voices in your head keep changing their mind.

So what is a writer to do to maintain their sanity? Well, vowing to never change won’t quite cut it. But there are things you can do that will help you gain the upper hand on the big “C” word. Here are a few:


  • Go out for ice cream. I don’t know if that helps with change but John Maxwell believes that’s a cure all. Works for me.
  • Be farsighted. I am. No really. I can see a mile without contacts but can’t see to put them in without glasses. Don’t laugh. When your immediately gets blurry with change, just focus out a mile or two. The view is much better.
  • Embrace it. I’m not referring to falling in love with it but rather get that change in a headlock. That way, no matter what happens, you’ll be in control. Change is easier to stomach when you’re in control of it, don’tcha think?
  • Initiate it. Have you ever noticed that those who are called “change agents” are always happy? Why? Because they’re out front leading the charge. They’re not the ones getting trampled on in the crowd as everyone else runs for cover. Change is going to happen, like it or not. Why not start the race?!

Hey, change really can be a good thing, particularly if you’re the one in who initiates it. Other things come and go but change is here to stay. Make friends with it and you’ll fare better. Resist it and you’ll lose the fight. Get ice cream and it won’t matter. Just sayin.

Change… gotta love it.

How do you feel about change? When you’re facing it, what do you do? Share it here!

Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! I had the "I hate change" conversation with someone just this week. I said I hate it. She said change is awesome. I like what YOU said! And I'm going out for ice cream. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Robin. Change might be good but ice cream is always better! :-) Thanks for posting!

      Delete
  2. This post sure caught my eye. When I saw the title I thought about the line Meg Ryan speaks in "You've Got Mail". "Peope say change is good. What they really mean is that what they didn't want to happen, happened." Fourteen months ago I had a major life change that I did not initiate and what I didn't want to happen, happened. Yes, ice cream is good; acceptance is more lasting. Anyway, I am coming to learn that I can find some secondary gains in addition to my secondary losses as a result of change. This morning, I learned alot about computers; last week it was buying tires. I have my glasses on and more is coming into focus. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so candid Marilyn. It's amazing how life has a way of challenging us. Change is good... sometimes. It's always uncomfortable, unpredictable and challenging. But, I know you already know that. You're fully immersed in that. Thanks for the post.

      Delete